Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Language translator tool supporting HTML

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFP

Technical User
May 18, 2000
US
Hi all.

I have a help system developed in HTML and a new requirement has been added to support French as well as English.

I have been using Dreamweaver, so an add-on would be ideal.

Most of the tools I have seen so far can open an HTML file, but the translation is to text, which doesn't do me any good.

AltaVista has a tool called Babel Fish that works quite nicely, but for HTML, it only works on a published web site (and not local HTML files).

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

BFP

Are you looking to have an html file in your final version for help with a button that will translate it to French on the fly or do you want to translate it all now and put up French versions? Does it have to work for all browsers?

Do be aware of how apalling automatic translation is, especially for technical information like a help file. It's OK as a first step - but if you're not able to get a human translator to go over it and correct all the mistakes, you may be better off sticking to english.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

You would probably be best served creating French language versions of your pages and hosting them under a different domain or a subdomain or even a directory of your site.

If however you are looking for a (probably iffy) automatic translation, you can pass the pages through Google's translator. I've done this with varying degrees of success by using htaccess to redirect the user.

For example, this page translated via Google Translate looks like this.

It is only ever going to a an approximate translation though.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

push comes to shove contact your local college's language department and hire a coop/student to do the translation for you and as said above host it on a subdomain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back