Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

language problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhodesiascout

Programmer
Oct 27, 2000
GR
I am using php3 and mysql. I have built this search engine and i've inserted some websites into my database.

Now when i search, using english characters , it returns me the correct websites including the greek ones.
No problems here.

However if i type a greek keyword for a website that i know exists on my website it returns zero results.

Here's the catch .Lets say a website has 3 keywords in greek. If i type 1 or 2 of the keywords(seperately every time, not together ofcourse),
it will return results.If i type some other keyword , it returns zero results.It recognises some of the keywords i type in and doesnt some others .

Why does it do this?

Is it a language problem?

Mysql doesn't know one language from another. However Many languages(ESPECIALLY ones that had not accepted the latin alphabet(such as russian or greek)), will have odd characters. It is very likely that incompatible programs could cause such a failure to occur. This is why UNICODE is now being widely supported. If you change everything to support UNICODE, it should work fine.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back