Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LANeGram still available? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddprlewis

Programmer
Aug 18, 2014
US
I found the source on vbforums and saw that the author was active here, but the link to the MSI installers is no longer active, so I was wondering if anyone new where one could find the installer for this program as it looks like what I need as a net send replacement in our environment.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Rod

Sorry, I guess you wanted the installer for the precompiled version.

I am checking with the file hosting company. Something strange seems to have occurred to my account there.

dilettante,

I was able to get it compiled and running. It works great except that we have subnets and it doesn't cross them. I am trying to learn more about it, but it appears that this is a limitation of the mailslots broadcast? Since the majority of the workstations are on the same subnet, it will probably work, but I know you are aware of this limitation and was wondering if you had any insight on it. I have already played with the code a little bit (mostly cosmetic), but if you point me in a direction, I will run with it.

Thanks

As far as I know Mailslot broadcasts can only traverse subnets when a Domain Controller or network router acts as a relay. However I don't have any details on the required configuration, or for that matter even whether it can be done (could it be rumor?).

But [tt]Net Send[/tt] also used Mailslot broadcasts, so it may be possible. There is always a chance that Microsoft servers gave those special treatment though.

I'm not sure what else could be done except to use client/server messaging instead of peer-to-peer. That would of course require one or more server machines to host the service piece of such an alternative.

Some research seems to suggest that [tt]Net Send[/tt] has the same limitation when broadcasts are done.

Since LANegram tried to accomplish things slightly differently though, it always uses broadcasts. This means even sending to a specific computer or user will fail going between subnets.

You could try reworking the code to eliminate this but I haven't looked at it myself in a long time.

I actually got it working. I had to change the \\*\mailslots\LANegram\ to \\<computer name>\mailslots\LANegram\ and put the computer name into that section. As long as the computer name is passed, mailslots works across subnets that are on the same domain. Unfortunately, even passing an asterisk still is limited to the existing subnet, but since this work around gets across it, it has expanded the functionality of sending to a single computer, just not ALL computers which didn't work anyway across the subnet.

I have not done any testing on Win 8.x as we don't have any in our environment yet, but it works great with Win 7 machines.

Thanks for making a great little utility. I know it is old, but it still has functional uses in businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back