Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LANE Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBowen

Technical User
Jan 26, 2001
GB
I am having a little bit of a problem trying to distinguish how ATM LANE trunks multiple VLANs across an ATM cloud. My understanding is that all devices that have an ATM module in them are configured as LECs, one device is configured as a LES/BUS and one device per administrative domain is configured as a LECS. Now, is there one ELAN per VLAN? For example, a Catalyst switch that has Vlans 10 and 20 configured will need ELAN connectivity for the respective ELANs to trunk 10 and 20 across the cloud?
By entering the command lane client ethernet 10 elan10 you are (bridging) VLAN10 and ELAN10 in that device, allowing all VLAN10 connected devices on that switch to communicate with VLAN10 devices attached to an identically configured device on the other side of the cloud?

A yes or no answer will be great, I just want to know if I am on the right track !

Thanks very much in advance

Daniel,

One Vlan to Elan mapping yes!
You can have more than one LES/BUS pairs.There are switches that have proprietary distributed LES/BUS pairs or redundant LES/BUS es.
There can only be one LECS in an administrative domain but here again a resilient/proprietary solution is possible.
The difference being only one LECS can be active at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back