Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

landing page redirect - bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thompom

Technical User
Dec 4, 2006
GB
hi,

my landing page is default.asp that redirects to my home page home.asp - using the asp response.redirect is this a bad idea?
would this affect my google pagerank?
would it be better to not have this redirect?

thanks

MG

Why do you have a landing page an what purpose does it serve? Just asking- did you do it for a reason because you wanted to try to do something specific or did you just do it because you just did it that way?

The reason I am asking is that if you wanted to do it for a particular reason maybe folks here could help address that and help you avoid the desire/need for a landing page. I find landing pages annoying and I think others do as well.

Hi,

maybe 'landing page' is the wrong term - i think landing page means an intro page that says 'welcome' and 'click here to enter site'

mine just redirects to another page,cant remember why I did it this way - will probably find out when it all falls over!!
anyways will remove it and rename home.asp to default.asp - job done

if you want to see what I mean goto thanks for your comments

MG

Hi

Got is. So default.asp has no content. Then there is no annoyance for humans and while you use standard HTTP redirecting mechanism, no harm for robots.

Personally I would configure the web server to
[ul]
[li]serve home.asp as directory index page[/li]
[li]redirect requests for default.asp with 301 Moved Permanently instead of 302 Found[/li]
[/ul]

For more on SEO better ask in forum828.

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back