Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LANdesk Suite 8.0 vs. SMS 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnt25

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2003
US
Hello Everyone,
Do any of you have both of these products deployed in your enterprise? IF so,have integrated the two backend SQL databases for reporting purposes?

Unfortuntely, SMS 2003 does not have a single Macintosh plug-in tool from a third party vendor to work with SMS 2003. Although there is a Inventory Solution for the Macintosh by Alitiris, where inventory is forwarded to the SMS site database, it is only compatible at this time with SMS 2.0. Plus, this solution by Altiris does not support any software distribution, thus rulling out this possible option.

As a result, I'm looking to LANdesk 8.0 to manage the Macintosh platform but now the question comes into play, why do we need SMS 2003 if LANDesk 8.0 does the entire enterprise. I am looking for a comparison of the advantages and disadvantages between the two products.

I look forward to any comments or feedback that you could provide.

Thanks,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back