Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidGloves

ISP
Jun 10, 2001
US
I have windows 2k advanced server, and what i want is to be able to have the two domain controllers to host my domain, and on the LAN have 4 PC's for my different servers. One PC would host an IRC server, another will host the E-Mail server, Another will host the http server, and the last would host the FTP server. My question is this, How do i route the requests to the different servers for the different requests. And before you say that i could use one PC on the LAN to do this, I dont want to have all servers on one PC.Any ideas?

hi
Not very sure but you can install a firewall or ISA Proxy Server in which you can define policies . for eg in Checkpoint or any other commonly used firewall rules are specified as follows :
From.......To..........User.........Service.

Here "From" indicates "Source of request". A request can be a ftp reques or HTTP request or any other service which is specified in "Service".
To divert your HTTP requests to the HTTP server you can give its IP address in the "To" tab.Thus fulfilling your requirement.
For eg.
for FTP service following rule will be created (* indicates anyone and everyone):
From->*
To -> FTP Server's IP Address
User -> Valid User
Service -> FTP.

For more details on how firewall works you can go to :
or
Check out if it is of any help.Proxy Server's also have such facilities of creating rules :)

or you can use some sort of port mapping (wingate can do this) to reroute certain kinds of traffic to a LAN server.
Or are all of your servers on the internet ? Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back