Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN - Who sees who? And why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikerobb

Programmer
Nov 7, 2001
US
I have a simple LAN setup with 2 computers and a router. Each computer can "see" the other computer - but only one of the computers can see the router. What possible things could I have incorrectly set up to cause this to happen?

Specifics:
Netgear ISDN Router (RT338)
Linksys 5 Port Workgroup Hub
Windows 98 OS - IP 192.168.0.2 (working computer)
Windows ME OS - IP 192.168.0.3 (can't see router)
Rounter - IP 192.168.0.1

As far as I can tell I have the same settings (in the network control pannel) for both computers.

Any ideas?

--TIA!

--Mike Robb
(

Can the Win Me system Ping the router? Can you set in the router the IPs for the systems? (some routers allow this). So far I have noticed that Windows ME networking is flaky at best. Let me know if you can ping the router. How is the router set up?

I can ping the router from the windows98 computer (this one works to get to the internet)

i can not ping the router from the windowsME computer (this is the one that can not get to the internet)

On all systems, the router's address needs to be set as the 'gateway' address. Also, you need the correct and same subnet mask on each workstation. Jeff

If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......

This is sometimes overlooked but are both computers set on the same workgroup? Also, is your router set up for DHCP or do you assign your computers IPs. All the Netgear routers that know of use DHCP so you need to make sure that the TCP/IP settings are set to obtain the IP address automatically and like Jeff said, the gateway on both machines needs to be set to 192.168.0.1 Hope this helps!

Harry
Net Guyz, LLC
hfolloder@net-guyz.com

I forgot about the Network Neighborhood since it is not driven by TCP/IP. If that is what you mean by "seeing" another computer, then Harry is right. The browse list in Netowrk Neigboorhood is built by information transmitted over NetBIOS. Under Windows, NetBIOS is encapsulated in TCP/IP but that's as far as the relationship goes. On any given workstation, you will only "see" other in the same workgroup, therefore, as Harry said, the workgroup name on each workstation must be the same as well as all the TCP/IP settings being correct. Jeff

If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......

This might be a stupid question, but ....

... do you have setup any access lists in your router ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back