Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lan/Wan Connection to PBX maint. port? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

normatech

IS-IT--Management
Jun 22, 2001
US
Is anyone connecting using an IP address to an Option 81?
This would be used for adds moves, changes and pulling traffic reporting in the Nortel PBX.
If it is possible can someone please provide the setup.
Thanks

I use a serial terminal server (used to be a DEC until it died, now a Compaq 8-port 3883) for most of my connections to the switch. I have 2 TTY ports, 1 Meridian Mail, 1 CDR output, and 1 ACD-C report output connected to the terminal server serial ports. I can come in through any LAN or internet connected PC to any of the ports, using Hyperterminal or Procomm Plus. In Hyperterminal, use TCP/IP (Winsock), or in Procomm Plus use basic telnet, put in the IP address of the terminal server, and the TCP port number (2001-2008 on my server) of the serial connection you want. Works like a charm from office, home, or on the road.

There are probably better choices than the Compaq 3883, but I got it cheap on eBay, and I haven't had a need to upgrade yet.

Telephonist, Thanks for your reply, I really like the concept. Great tip and info you get a star!
I'll have to poke around on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back