Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN transfer to External USB drive tanks speed but local disk to USB is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCubeFarm

Technical User
Jul 2, 2019
CA
Very odd. I'm using a Dell 1950 as a server with a USB3 card in a slot and have a USB3 4 bay external hard drive holder connected to this card.

The disk in the external bay is shared.

If I transfer greater than about 2 gigs explorer will start to choke.

The "gas gauge" in explorer will stop and the disk light on the drive bay will be flashing like crazy - as if it's over whelmed and is "writing out" cached data.

If I try to transfer say 10 gigs in say 5 x 2gb files, ultimately explorer will time out and stop trying to transfer the remaining files.

Now, here's the odd part. If I transfer these same files to the local disk (c:) on the dell and then move them from there to the external usb drive, no problem. It will happily send all the files to the ext drive at about 100kb/s.

Also as soon as explorer has sent the files to the ext drive, there is no more disk activity (no flashing light). The files appear to be written out completely.

I find this somewhat confusing as you would think the LAN would be the bottleneck and allow the server to keep up with the disk writes, but this is not the case.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back