Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN status is connected but "ping" to server, timed out 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DedyH

Technical User
Dec 26, 2008
US
3 days ago I unplagged the LAN cable from client PC, and then I plugged in , but after that its client can't worked in server.

If we check or saw in Local Area Connection Status, the status is connected, but if I "ping" to server IP, the request is timed out. The LAN card indicator is ON. I change many times the networks cable (that cable was tested by Cable Tester and use by another client PC, it can "ping" to server) but still timed out when ping to server.
The way which already tried :
1. Change the network cable
2. directly connect the client PC to server
3. change the LAN card.
By the way, my server use Windows Server 2003, and the client use XP SP2

Sounds like the client and server are not in the same subnet...

need to check your IP addresses...

if you use DHCP on the network then check the status of the DHCP server on the w2k3 server and the client side if DHCP is enabled...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

You need to do an IPCONFIG /ALL from the command prompt and tell us if it's using the DHCP allocated address or something else.

You should also look at your DHCP server to see if it's running.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Hi..Ben n Simon,
I am not using DHCP. I use IP static : 88.93.10.x with subnet 255.255.255.x
And the point is I unplagged the LAN cable from client PC, and then I plugged in , but after that its client can't worked in server.

can you ping the router or default gateway?

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

You could try to reset the winsocks and see if that is the cause of the problem...

on the client PC enter in a Command Line window (START >> RUN >> CMD >> ENTER) the command:

netsh winsock reset catalog

then reboot...

Ben

hi,
any messages in event log,
as: duplicated address, .... or other
bye

Hi Simon,
Thanks. But the client couldn't ping to Router.

Hello Ben,
I haven't tried resetting the Winsocks yet, because before I had opportunity to read ur respond, I already find the solution :
CPU 1. change the PCI slot which plug-in to its LAN card
CPU 2. Change the LAN card.
Why 2 solutions, because I have 2 clients that infected.
So I am glad to say thanks a lot to Simon, Ben , and Victorv.

DedyH - No problem, glad to hear that you fixed the solution... My next suggestion would have been along those lines, sometimes NICs have a habit of going nuts and then troubleshooting is a pain...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back