Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtbiker1824

Technical User
Jun 25, 2008
US
Hello everyone again!
I am setting up an old computer to act as my server and I would like to have the hightest possible networking speed. I used to have a linksys 100mbps PCI card which I was getting about 60-70% network utilization from, on my LAN. I wanted a faster connection so I purchased a gigabit PCI card and found tht it was only around running at 7-8%. I then noticed that 7% of 1 gig is about 70 of 100 Mb, and then noticed my CPU usage was 100%. I belive this is my limiting factor for my network speed as the computer I am sending transmiting to is a brand new top of the line xps 630 desktop, it also has 1 gbps networking card and my router is gigabit.
So my question is, is my limiting factor my CPU and if so what do I need to upgrade to make it faster.
Thank you,

You didn't say how old your computer was so the answer is yes. Without getting into all variables of processor, bus architecture, memory speed, etc...
Old computer=old speed; new computer=new speed

So do you think it would be better if I jsut took the 1 gbps card back and stick with the 100mbps?
BTW its a computer from 99.

That would be my guess. You probably don't have the nesessary architecture in that computer to drive 1Gb.
1999- you have a P3 and maybe 256MB RAM -just guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back