Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN Settings Disabled 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hspage

Programmer
Jun 9, 2008
US
Greetings,

I am using IE 7.0 with Windows Vista and have noticed that all of my settings are disabled (grayed out) when I press the LAN settings button under Tools, Internet Options, Connections. I am unable to uncheck proxy settings. Any idea as to why this is occurring?

Thanks in advance!

A GROUP POLICY can cause this. Is this a work PC/Latpop?

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

It is a PC. I am logged in as Administrator. How would I verify the Group Policy?

Thanks!

But is this PC attached to a domain? Or is it a stand alone -- home -- pc? If it is stand alone I doubt it is a policy issue and I'd lay odds your browser settings have been hijacked. Run a couple of Spyware removers like Spybot S&D to be sure.

To check for a policy...

Click "Start" > "Run" then type: gpedit.msc

Press ENTER

Click Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Internet Explorer -->Internet Control Panel -->

Check the settings under "Disable the Connections page"

BTW -- did this just recently change?

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

It is a standalone Home PC. By the way, I typed gpedit.msc and it returned nothing. Maybe it is Spyware that's causing the problem. I'll check out Spybot S&D.

By the way, the initial reason for me checking this dialog was to install McAfee VirusScan 2009. After contacting their tech support several times, the last technician said that I need to uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN". I told him that this option (and the others on this LAN Settings dialog) were disabled. I still don't know why McAfee won't install. Perhaps I should have purchased Norton instead. I installed AVG (which is free) with no problems.

Thanks again, however.

I ran both Spybot S&D and Malewarebytes' program but I still have the same problem. This is Windows Vista Home Premium (standalone computer).

gpedit.msc returned nothing or showed you a permission denied message?

Cheers,
Dian

I entered gpedit.msc in the "Start Search" pane in the botton left hand corner. (This is Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit). When I enter this and press <Enter>, I get a Search Results pane with "No items matched your search".

If I enter it at a DOS prompt I receive "'gpedit.msc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

Thanks.

One other thing. If I click the Start button, type in "Run" and press <Enter> and then type in "gpedit.msc", I receive the message, "Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again." Does this mean that the Group Policy editor does not exist on this machine (since this is Windows Vista Home Premium)?

Thanks!

Looks like Vista Home Premium doesn't have that option (sorry, I'm a traditional XP guy)

I'm, sure there's an easier and trivial way, but I don't hava Vista to try, so this may help.

You can download here an Excel spreadsheet with registry values that can be changed to modify permissions.

It's supposed to be legit as it comes from MS. Around line 600 you will find settings for the IE.

Cheers,
Dian

Thanks. By the way, I just found out that the Internet Filter I am using grays out the LAN settings and uses a proxy server. That is why I was unable to uncheck any boxes. I was able to install AVG virus scan with no problems. Apparently, McAfee doesn't like you using a proxy server (according to one of their Tech Support Analysts) and I was never able to successfully install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back