Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomaswoo

MIS
Dec 4, 2000
HK
Hi all Experts,

I have a problem with my Win2K prof. I got my 3Com LAN card installed successfully and I can see it in the "Device Manager" (without any abnormal signal). However, it still cannot connect to my LAN.

When I check it in "Network and Dialup Connection", nothing can be found except the "Add new connection". And when I type ipconfig in the command prompt, it just shows a "168.x.x.x" ip address.

I've tried to modify the tcp/ip entries in the registry.. but still doesn't work.

Is there anyone knows what's going on ?

Thanks !

Sounds like the incoming network connection to the machine is not working.

Is the cable ok ?

Ipconfig /renew

If that doesnt work then the network cable is prolly not live.

Failing that maybe go into the #com card properties and change the connection type from Autosense to something else.

Thanks for your reply SuperJon.

I have do some more try today and after I modify the tcp/ip service in the registry with the correct static IP, mask and gateway, its works ! However the "Local Area Network" icon is still missing in the "Network and Dialup Connection" Window...

We have no DHCP in my environment .. and I am still don't know why yhe LAN icon is missing.

Try the utility discussed in faq779-4625

Other possibilities: you are missing some registration of key Windows DLLs.

Start, Run, sfc /Scannow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back