Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscotx

Technical User
Jul 25, 2007
US
I am trying to come up with a good solution to instant message my clients on a LAN... I have server running as a Domain Controller and I would like to find a software for instant messaging just on the LAN... Any ideas as how to implement this??? I've heard Jabber, but I have no clue on how it works and I am barely reading the documentation... Thanks

Yes. There is an open source IM server available called Wildfire. I've used it before at several companies. It's pretty easy to install and is managed via a web interface, and works great.

Then you'll need a client to connect to the IM server. If I'm not mistaken, Wildfire uses the same protocols as Jabber. The client that we used was called Spark, and it included all of the functionality that you would expect from a standard IM client (minus all of the ads).

Wildfire can also be configured to connect to other servers on the Internet, or other Wildfire servers in an organization, if you want to scale up your installation.

where can i find the Wildfire and the Spark software I have looked for it and it redirects me constantly to another pages..

Wildfire is now called Openfire. That and Spark can be downloaded from IgniteRealtime.org.

where can i find the Wildfire and the Spark software I have looked for it and it redirects me constantly to another pages..

I don't understand why people always post "where can I get product x".

They have this thing called "Google" now that makes it easy. First, you need some software called a "web browser". Usually there is one installed on your computer called "Internet Explorer" or "Firefox". After you start the "web browser" you type " in the "address bar". That should pull up the Google "home page" which has lots of pretty colors. Underneath the multi-colored "Google" logo, there is a "search box." Click the "cursor" in the "search box", and type in what you're looking for. In this case, 'wildfire spark download' would be a good. Now click the "button" that says "Google Search." Google will now perform a "search" of its "index" and return a list of "web sites" that are related to the words that you are searching for. The best part is, you don't even have to type in the "addresses" for the "web sites" by hand. All you have to do is "click" on a result, and you will automatically be taken to the correct "home page".

Isn't technology wonderful?

kmcferrin, because many people are very lazy

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Sometimes, when I am alone, I Google myself.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Sometimes, when I am alone, I Google myself.
ROFL...

ROFLMAO - it took two clicks in GOOGLE, with WILDFIRE & SPARK as search criteria, to find OPENFIRE and the WEBSITE offering it...

I guess my JOB chances are growing from day to day in the US... LOL...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

kmcferrin said:
I don't understand why people always post "where can I get product x".

They have this thing called "Google" now that makes it easy. First, you need some software called a "web browser". Usually there is one installed on your computer called "Internet Explorer" or "Firefox". After you start the "web browser" you type " in the "address bar". That should pull up the Google "home page" which has lots of pretty colors. Underneath the multi-colored "Google" logo, there is a "search box." Click the "cursor" in the "search box", and type in what you're looking for. In this case, 'wildfire spark download' would be a good. Now click the "button" that says "Google Search." Google will now perform a "search" of its "index" and return a list of "web sites" that are related to the words that you are searching for. The best part is, you don't even have to type in the "addresses" for the "web sites" by hand. All you have to do is "click" on a result, and you will automatically be taken to the correct "home page".

Isn't technology wonderful?

k, you have had some good sarcastic rants over the years, but this one's the best yet. Hall of fame stuff. But, in defense of ciscotx (we Texans stick together, like at the Alamo) some people are better at web research than others. Still funny as s#!+ and made me laugh out loud...oops I mean LOL....

Tony

(wahnula):
k, you have had some good sarcastic rants over the years, but this one's the best yet. Hall of fame stuff. But, in defense of ciscotx (we Texans stick together, like at the Alamo) some people are better at web research than others. Still funny as s#!+ and made me laugh out loud...oops I mean LOL....

Tony

You mean Waco Texans? ROTF!!

Hell, Google is man's best friend!! Just like a Dog is man's best friend! lol

Oh by the way, you can use this, this is nice and best for Lan Messengering to another network.

Or a nice neat trick for everyone maybe you know it or not..

In DOS command you can to anyone from within your network a message by using this command:

C:\net send * Google is your mans best friend

I used it ones but not sure if it sends everyone in your not work that same message....wouldn't that be weird if send a private message but sends to everyone at work? lmao

I used it ones but not sure if it sends everyone in your not work that same message....wouldn't that be weird if send a private message but sends to everyone at work? lmao

Yes, it would. I once worked at a place where one of the PC techs discovered the joys of doing NET SENDs. He was trying to send a message to the tech in the next cube that said "Quit slacking and get your [insert three-letter euphemism for backside] back to work!" Unfortunately, he did it with a wildcard and it went to every PC on the network. Management was not amused.

That's why we recommend using a proper IM application.

But, in defense of ciscotx (we Texans stick together, like at the Alamo)

I just assumed that the TX stood for "transmit". I guess I would have assumed otherwise had I been from Texas too.

Well, I asked where could I find the software since I google it and nothing came up as wildfire... Another thing, if I am asking for an advice that is because I don't have an answer or solution to one of my problems this is a forum to help and if you don't have anything nice to say they just shut the f*ck off. :)

ciscotx, I have given you the information you requested. I searched Google and, as Ben said, I found it in a couple of clicks. I hope it's what you wanted.

Another thing, if I am asking for an advice that is because I don't have an answer or solution to one of my problems this is a forum to help
Yes this is the FORUM for HELP, but it is expected that one does his HOMEWORK before hand, and not have someone else do it for them...

and if you don't have anything nice to say they just shut the f*ck off. :)
LOL... are we living in an UTOPIA, or do you think that FORUMs should all be NICE and SWEET... Geeze... and then even you use vulgarity to stress that point... just because you do not like the answers given does not give you the right to use that kind off language at all... it just points out your immaturity...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

they just shut the f*ck off. :)

Wow that sounds like a good trick huh? I've seen people shut the f*ck up or just f*ck off, but shutting the f*ck off sounds difficult, can you explain the process involved?

In other news, vulgarity is the last refuge of the weak minded.

Every now and then there are these posters, poor manners on their side but a clear idea of how help should politely be provided...

TomCologne

Maybe he is really as robot, and thinks we all have an on/off button!!!!

In the future wouldnt that be funny to hear 2 robots arguing, thats what one would say to the other to tell him off lol

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Well, I asked where could I find the software since I google it and nothing came up as wildfire

Sarcastic rants aside, I'm not surprised that you had trouble finding it if the only search criteria you used was the word "wildfire." That's pretty common word. Not only is it the former name of the XMPP server in question, it's also a brand of BBQ sauce, a television series, and most commonly, a fire that burns through the wilderness. Nonetheless, if you Google the term "wildfire" the XMPP server does show up in the first page of results. Unfortunately, it also returns 9.5 million other results as well.

So what you would have needed to do, just like you would with any other internet search, is actually specify additional search criteria. What are you looking for? A messenger system. OK, let's try "wildfire" and "messenger" as the search criteria. That returns "only" 922,000 results, but the entire first page is about the Wildfire messaging server.

Sure, some people are too lazy to actually search via a search engine. But what they usually don't realize is that it only takes a couple of seconds to change the search criteria to get useful results, versus a minute or more to go back to the forum and post a complaint that you can't find it, and then the potentially hours-long wait for someone to post the URL for you. It's not rocket science.

Another thing, if I am asking for an advice that is because I don't have an answer or solution to one of my problems this is a forum to help

That's right, and we helped you by giving you the names of some applications that would fit your needs. We also told you where you could find those applications. We also are trying to help you be able to find things on your own, so that you won't always need someone to help you. It's like going to the library. You can either a) constantly ask the librarians where to find the books that you're looking for, or b) learn to use the card catalog (I suppose these day's it's probably web-based) and be able to find it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back