Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN Jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelchiorKD

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2001
US
How can you scan an ethernet network for unutilized LAN Jacks without the use of a fluke. Ideally we would like to generate a report. Can this be done though SNMP somehow?

Are you asking how to find unused ports in Managed Hubs and Switches? (done in the management software, often via SNMP) or are you asking how to find Patch Panel Ports unused? (much Harder!) The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

I am looking to do an audit on unused wall jacks (patch panel).

If I follow your work plan, you want to verify cable runs from the patch panel to wall outlets with respect to their connection to working equipment.

First, of course, is the fact that the patchbay may have ports patched to hubs or other equipment, which is of interest to you because it may or may not have a PC on the other end, right?

1) Hubs or other equipment now universally have link lights. No PC on the end, no light. But no light does not, of course, mean there is no PC on the other end. Now you need to test for a non-working PC, right?
2) Attach a standard multimeter (if you do not have a Fluke) to the working pins of an ethernet jack or cable--pins 1&2 and 3&6. You will see some resistance, and not simply an open circuit across the pairs.

Mike

Mike,

That's an interesting test with the multimeter... I found on several of my cards that the resistance appeared to about 0.4 Ohms, i.e. LESS than one Ohm. Also, pins 3 & 6 appear to make a connection via the mobo, i.e. remove card from mobo and no connection between 3 & 6.

I guess together with a nice long length of UTP in line and the odd bit of plug/socket attenuation thrown in, this figure I have of 0.4 Ohms won't be confused with a short-circuit!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back