Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lan IP Address range overlap with VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

vkode78

Technical User
Nov 22, 2004
US
I was wondering if anyone could provide insight into this.
Most home users on their networks have 192.168.1.x/24.
If my VPN server hands out addresses in the same range.

What problems can this cause and why?
One of the VPN clients can not ping a specific node on the LAN segment ( VPN server side ). I am wondering if this problem is a result of having same 192.168.1.x/24 on both client side and server lan side. Any ideas?

Thanks
Kode

No, you can't do it. Change your Network ID at home. you won't be able to browse the network

Well, ask your company if they can do one-to-one static nats on a diffrent subnet range. I have never heard of a company handin out 192.168.x.x addresses it is rather silly, lack of foresight if they have home users.

Tommyboy: yes, still a lot of company use 192.168.x.x and they don't want to change.

winoto: They don't have to change but the should have some sort of inbound NATing setup to compensate for this. I deal with 100s of remote networks with all typing of addressing, there are ways around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back