Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLawson

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2002
US
Hello Everyone,

I'm failrly NT dumb, so my questions may sound obvious. Please bear with me :)

I've inherited a Dell PowerEdge 4400. Yesterday, it took a nose dive and I lost everything on it. To make a long story short, that particular problem has been dealt with and I have NT 4.0 up and running again - a fresh install.

My network consists of about 30 Windows 98/XP/NT workstation computers, all of which are connected to my two 3com SuperStack 3 24-port hubs. I have a cable modem connected to a Linksys EtherFast router which is also connected to one of my hubs.

The NIC on the NT server is connected to a hub as well, but I'm not able to access anything on the network. I can't ping anything except the server itself.

This is a mutt of a system: The NT server (which is set up as a PDC) will be running DHCP for the workstations on the LAN. I'll be running an Exchange server on it as well for interoffice E-Mail. Since this server will be providing only local area systems with information, I have selected my own domain name and IP range. Actually, I'm using the same information that was in place when I inherited the system.

My biggest question right now is, why can't my NT server see anything on the LAN or through the cable connection to the rest of the world? I have the TCP/IP protocol installed, but I'm not sure if the settings are 100% correct. Do I have another service/protocol missing somewhere?

Is DHCP working? Are your clients getting IP's? Next check the subnet masks on the clients and the server if they aren't the same you won't be able to ping.

I think I have it figured out (though not 100%). My router has DHCP built in and I had DHCP running on the server. Can't exactly have two DHCP servers going. I think I'm headed down the right track now, but I'll probably have some questions for you guys in the future. Thanks alot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back