Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lan connection but not able to connect to other comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonGuerra

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
CA
I have an HP pavilion ze4900 laptop. It has win XP pro with Service pack 1. I am not able connect to other computers. I am able to ping the address of another machine with no loss of packets but I am not able to connect to a machine or have tany other machine come up when searching for a computer through the windows search. I am also not able to activate the file sharing and I am not able to change the workgroup name. I have noticed that the computer has BlackICE PC protection. version 3.5.cbq.

intel celeron 1400 mhz
480mb ram
40gb space

What do you mean you are "not able to change the workgroup name"? Do you mean on your computer, you don't have rights to?

You lost me there. However, you shouldn't have to be a member of the same workgroup necessarily to access shared resources.

Do you know the computer name of each PC you are trying to connect to?

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Also before you go through changing Black Ice's settings, try disabling it first to make sure it's the problem.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back