Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN Allocation of IP Addresses - Confliction ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenoo

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
IE
I have my desktop and Laptop successfully networked and connected to the Web through an external DSL modem and a Linksys router. Both have XP Pro SP2.

At present the laptop is linked wirelessly to the router by means of a wireless adaptor card and the TCP/IP properties of this wireless connection (Local Area Connection 1) are set to have both IP and DNS Server connections obtained automatically.

This arrangement gives the laptop an IP address of 192.168.1.102.

Although the wireless connection is convenient for enabling mobility of Web access in various locations in my house , there are times when I would prefer to use a wired CAT5 connection also .

If I connect the laptop to the router by cable ( Local Area Connection 2 ) and set the properties of this TCP/IP also to be automatically obtained while still maintaining the wireless connection , will this now give the laptop a different IP than 192.168.1.102 ?

If it does do this , will this affect the ability of the Desktop to "see" the laptop when both cable and wireless are active ?

I'm not sure if I have your network configuration right, but are you saying you have the following:

Intert==>DSL Modem==>LinkSys==>PCs (laptop & desktop) laptop wirless and desktop wired? If that's the case yes the LinkSys should provide an address for each and both will still be on the same network segment. If you run the following command from a dos window... ipconfig /all you can see what the mask is. I'm thinking it's probably a class C address space that is defined in the DHCP scope, but this command will tell ya.

192.168.1.102 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 if this isn't the case can you outline the configuration of your network.

I wish this site would allow for including network diagrams.

RookThis,

Thanks very much for the reply.

The situation , since your reply , has changed somewhat and I may be happy with everything now - ( that is a BIG statement (! > vbg ! )

What I did in the end was set both the desktop and the laptop to " Use the following IP/DNS Server Addresses " in their TCP/IP Addresses Properties and gave them different addresses when using wireless and when using cable - thus cancelling the facility of having these allocated automatically .

This seems to work as I can now access the Web and network both machines without problems , either wirelessly or by Cat5 cable - ( SO FAR ! )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back