Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lame nameserver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skendrick

Technical User
Mar 31, 2003
I am trying to setup my own dns on my windows 2000 advanced server. For now I am using zoneedit.com but I would rather have my own dns server so that I can create more zones then I can with them. I have my router fowarding ports 80, 21, and 53 to my private ip. Everytime I try and set the dns up it never works. I always get a NS error from dnsreport.com that says my nameserver is lame. Below is the report I get from dnsstuff.com when I try to search for ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com I have read everything on microsoft.com and yahoo about how to setup dns on a windows 2000 advanced server but everytime I set it up it never works. Could somebody please tell me what I could be doing that is wrong.

DNS Lookup: ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com NS record
Generated by How I am searching:
Searching for NS record for ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com at l.root-servers.net: Got referral to C.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [took 68 ms]
Searching for NS record for ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com at C.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.: Got referral to ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com. [took 43 ms]
Searching for NS record for ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com at ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com.: Reports that no NS records exist. [took 302 ms]

Answer:
No NS records exist for ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com.

Details:
ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com. says that there are no NS records for ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------(C) Copyright 2000-2003 Computerized Horizons

Thanks in advance,
Sterling

Could someone please explain to me why I might be getting this error message when I use dnsstuff.com the error says:

Answer:
No NS records exist for ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com.

Details:
ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com. says that there are no NS records for ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com.

How can I create the ns records for ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com? When I created the forward zone for coastal-computer-solutions.com it created a SOA, NS, which both say (same as parent folder) it also created a folder that says NS1 inside the folder it says coastal-computer-solutions type: host data: 12.158.111.215 If anybody might know what I am doing wrong please let me know. Thanks!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Sterling

This is from samspade.org.

Need an email campaign consultant? Software developer?
Need an abuse desk consultant? Run an abuse desk and need tools?

dns ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com

ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com resolves to 12.158.111.215

whois -h magic ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com
coastal-computer-solutions.com is registered with GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC. - redirecting to whois.godaddy.com

whois -h whois.godaddy.com coastal-computer-solutions.com

The data contained in Go Daddy Software, Inc.'s WhoIs database, while believed by the company to be reliable, is provided "as is" with no guarantee or warranties regarding its accuracy. This information is provided for the sole purpose of assisting you in obtaining information about domain name registration records. Any use of this data for any other purpose is expressly forbidden without the prior written permission of Go Daddy Software, Inc. By submitting an inquiry, you agree to these terms of usage and limitations of warranty. In particular, you agree not to use this data to allow, enable, or otherwise make possible, dissemination or collection of this data, in part or in its entirety, for any purpose, such as the transmission of unsolicited advertising and and solicitations of any kind, including spam. You further agree not to use this data to enable high volume, automated or robotic electronic processes designed to collect or compile this data for any purpose, including mining this data for your own personal or commercial purposes.

Please note: the registrant of the domain name is specified
in the "registrant" field. In most cases, Go Daddy Software, Inc.
is not the registrant of domain names listed in this database.

Registrant:
Coastal Computer Solutions

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
Domain Name: COASTAL-COMPUTER-SOLUTIONS.COM

Secure the registration to this domain or any
other the instant it becomes available.
(TM)DomainAlert Pro services protect, inform and
keep you in the action, 24/7.
Visit for details.

Domain servers in listed order:
NS19.ZONEEDIT.COM
NS18.ZONEEDIT.COM

traceroute ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com

Error - ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com doesn't exist

Do not contact either Los Nettos (ln.net) or Centergate Research Group (centergate.com) based on the results of this traceroute.

Sam Spade Home © Contact Change Skin Search

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Mr. Glen,

Thank you for trying to help me out. I guess I have just set this thing up wrong or something. I have never done the DNS part of the server. I have tried it about 50 time though. If you or someone else out there knows of some good tutorials please let me know. I thought I had done everything right but some where I screwed up. What should the actual computer name be of the server I want to use my DNS on be? Or does it really matter? My DNS, IIS, and mail are going to all run on this one server hopefully.

Thanks,
Sterling

Make sure you have your name server setup in godaddy under Domain Host Summary. It should look like this:

ns1.coastal-computer-solutions.com

The software your using for your name server should not care if you call it ns1 or anything, it should simply respond to requests on port 53.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back