Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LACP with Cisco and Nortel

Status
Not open for further replies.

megs28

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2010
CA
I'm using a 2960-24TT-L running c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-46.SE.bin, and a Nortel 5510 running 6.1.007. No spanning tree on either end. I have two GB ports on each switch setup with an LACP trunk, with media converters inbetween. Nortel is the core, and the cisco is the distribution. There is a trunk between the two with 4 VLANs.

On the cisco...
sho lacp internal = I see the SA flags for the ports
sho lacp neighbor = I see the FA flags for the ports

On the nortel...
sho lacp aggr = LA for the aggregate
sho lacp port # = Short for the timeout

My convergence is between 30-60 seconds when either physcical link fails. Since changing the timeout on the nortel ports from long to short, convergence has greatly improved since this change.

What can I do to better the convergence time when a link fails? I should note that on the cisco I've left it at the default for src-mac address for load balancing, but see nothing to this effect on the Nortel.

So I guess what I'm really looking to find out...is there any way to offer unidirectional link failure between these two vendors? I know Nortel has VLACP and Cisco has UDLD, but anything that could work together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back