Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lacie Hard-Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogie560

Technical User
Feb 2, 2009
US
Hello good people. I am a music producer and im using a program called protools. Im running this with my new aliminum macbook 350gb internal drive and 4mb ram..(fully loaded).the problem is that it doesn't have a firewire port. and it is recommended that I use firewire when using this program because it reads and writes at such a high volume, that usb harddrives are not compatible.
Well, i tried it anyway but instead of working off the hard drive I copied the file unto the desktop and did my work off of there. But now that im ready to put the stuff back onto my drive it's saying that the drive is now read only. I have NEVER experienced this issue. Can some body tell me why this has happened and what i can do about it?

The permissions are set to read only on the file. Go to "Get Info" (control click on the file, choose Get Info).

Expand the Sharing and Permissions tab and report back what it says. I doubt it has to do with firewire vs usb, but more likely the permissions sound to be dodgy.

Do the same with the Lacie drive

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

When i plug the lacie drive into my new macbook it says,"The disk was not repairable by this computer. It is made available to you with limited funcionality.You must back up your data and reformat the disc as soon as possible.

Then I press "Ok". and when i press control and clik i see the permissions tabs but im unable to access them.

It appears that your Lacie is the issue. I know it said "Disk not repairable" plug in the Lacie, go to Applications,Utilities,Disk Utilities and try to repair that disk.
If you have or have access to Disk Warrior you good give that a go.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back