Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Labs for my lab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synonix

Technical User
Oct 2, 2008
US
Hey guys i just got the last few pieces of my lab in the mail a few days ago and i was wondering if anyone knows where i can download or buy any labs ( as in questions or steps ) for it. Oh and lastly, i was told that i should also invest in a router that has a GUI as part of the lab as well because some of the questions on the newest CCNA include it. Anyone know this to be true? reason i ask is because those routers are going for $300 or so single handedly.

thanks for the help!

Yes, it's true. Wendell Odom has a website with some labs in it. You may also want to sign up in the Cisco Learning Network.

The Cisco 837 has the "GUI" built in (called SDM). You can google for the website, but there is a list of SDM supported routers. Let me know if you need a copy of SDM...

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

BTW, you can get an 837 for about $100 on Ebay.

/

Building dependency tree

thnx burts. BTW whats the reasoning behind the smaller non-rackable routers? are they supposed to capture the home audience or just a small business?

If you go to ciscokits.com they have a good amount of labs there that you could practice.

Yes---home and small business (the 837 for example is an adsl router with VPN capabilities).

/

Building dependency tree

Synonix,

Just "Google" "Cisco CCNA labs" or "CCNA labs" - lots of links, some free, some pay, some have samples :)

I found 151 listings at Amazon, many of these are the lab books for the Cisco Network Academy which are not bad - they have lots of 2-4 router labs in the books

This is also something I have posted in the past - it is a free download of a book that my "Train the trainer" instructor in the Cisco Network Academy wrote - this is a draft of an update he was doing several years back, it is a PDF and about 700 pages of labs for 1, 2 and 3 router setups.

It was written for 2500 routers but easily you could use 2600's or 3600's instead or just about any Cisco routers with Ethernet ports and serial connections.

I would say about 85% of the book would still bennifit you and the hands on practice is GREAT and did I say it is FREE!!!!!!!

Hope this helps !!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I purchased Odom's simulator and like it very much, but had I seen Transcender's computer simulator from the very beginning, that would have been my choice. Their test engine is also very, very good!! I find it beneficial to duplicate the computer simulation on my own lab kit for practice.

If you are like me and still in the learning stage, I would not recommend the lab book from ciscokits.com. I purchased my lab kit from them and the lab book was included.

I was encountering problems with obtaining the same results shown in the book. I emailed them about it. They replied saying there are commands and steps that are purposely omitted in the labs. It's up to the student, according to them, to enter the missing data. The gentleman I communicated with said the lab book is a complement to the Sybex book on CCNA programming. If you are close to being ready to take your exam, the book may be good practice, but if you are still in the learning stage, you may want to reconsider.

Today I want to see if I could find the Sybex book, but no one carried it. I happend upon the CCNA Portable Command Guide and after taking a little time to look it over, I purchased it. I am very happy that I did! I also have Odom's CCNA Study Guide ICND1 and ICND2 and find it to be extremely beneficial and well written.

Hope this provides some insight for you.

I just got the voicebootcamp.com UC Resource Kit (Faisel Khan), and have found it to be the most useful and cost effective study material that I have found. It is great having the video walk through of configurations. The videos allow more comprehension that reading and unlike a $5000 class, the walk through and lectures can be reviewed at will.

The study expense for my CCIE voice has been great, but this has provided the best value added for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back