Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

labling in new construction 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountainbear

Programmer
Sep 27, 2009
CA
Just wondering what people do in commercial jobs for labeling drops. I am installing 38 data and voice drops. On smaller jobs I like to have the labeling start in one corner and go around the building clockwise with each voice and data drop number matching. Is that over kill, it will add several hours to the job not to mention making the wiring a bit messy where they cross over each other to get to the right position. I am considering just terminating them where the end up. As long as my label is accurate I don't see a problem.

To most just do what you think is easiest. Most systems today we install cables to a patch panel and just use the same colored cable and use Cat5e or 6 for every thing, Then you can us Voip, digital, analog or what ever as the center pins are the same, wht/blu pair. Keeping the numbering plan straight however makes for easier trouble shooting if a problem arises.

Avaya/Nortel/NEC/Asterisk/Access Control/CCTV/DSX/Acti

Why would your rule change because you are getting into a larger job? We follow that type of idea (ie. start in 1 area and follow a floorplan clockwise)whether it's 5 data drops or 150 duals (voice and data). Doing the job right isn't determined by the size of the job but by the installer.
A little longer on the install now will be easier for the i.t. guys/phone guys in the long run, not to mention a more professional looking job when completed.

A good wiring job ALWAYS starts with a floorplan drawing. How you number isn't as important as that each cable is labeled the same on BOTH ends.

I prefer to use room number / drop alpha / cable numbering. So room 101, first drop (wallplate), first cable is 101A1. I know it is a bit of a PITA but the patchbays should have the cables in sequence. When pulling cables I put the boxes in or near the closet and tape and ID (room/drop) the closet end. Punch the patchbay first then terminate all the wallplate jacks next leaving the jacks loose. Then with a helper test each cable and insert the jacks into the correct positions in the wallplates and label. Each drop location gets three visits (pull, term, test/insert/label) and you have a nice neat and tested install.

Be SURE to leave a copy of the labeled floorplan with the patchbay.

We always start with cable one in the CEO or Boss's office. We always tell them that cable one gets first choice on the bandwidth.

So you would give the least productive person the most bandwidth? F

Following such a strategy shields the decision maker from possible problems that affect the business. Not helpful.

Doesn't that fall under the Heading "If you can't impress them with brilliance, then dazzle them with BS" LOL

Avaya/Nortel/NEC/Asterisk/Access Control/CCTV/DSX/Acti

lolol

and doesnt matter if its the first cable or the last , the switch determines the bandwith

ddcommllc.com
Avaya/Toshiba/Nortel

ACIS

Funny. I usually tell them their monitor speed is not sufficient to support the internet speed....but anyways...

Just make sure your numbering scheme is constant for the cabling job. I worked at a huge facility and they opened a new call center, 3500 agents across two large 3 floor buildings. The problem was they ran three shifts to run all the data and voice cable. Back when they were doing 2 data/2 voice (4 cables) to each cube.

EACH SHIFT USED A DIFFERENT NUMBERING SCHEME!!! I thought this was the funniest thing in the world. The guy running the project aged so much during that project and when they finally had everything punched down, it was a mad house. We actually had to tone each cubicle and each riser pair, and this was for possibly one of the largest LD carriers at the time. I think the former CEO is now in prison .

We had some great pictures and videos of the cabling job and we put togeher a short on "How Not to Run Cable".

If you want a simpler approach, how about room or cubicle number followed by D1,2,3, etc. for data and V1,2,3, etc. for voice?

Update. I completed this job last week.38 dual drops are labeled mostly clockwise around the building. since there are no single locations I made each voice and data number match. Glad I did, it made for a very nice job.

Please,Please,Please start in a corner, number around in a neat easy pattern for the sake of the end user and IT guys. I have been both contractor and in-house guy for a large bank. we have a large operations center(5000 plus cables) that the original cable vendor got behind with the job and ask permission to terminate the closets then the cubes and just label it how ever they came out. the project manager said ok( I think the deal also included a bottle of crown to look the other way) needless to say it was the hardest job to troubleshoot I have ever worked on. if a wall plate or surface box lost it label then there was no looking on neighboring jacks and guessing where to start looking. when I moved up started managing projects I refuse to even get a quote from those guys due to their poor workmanship on that job. so bottom line do ever job as best you can,because its like a resume for the next job you do.

T.R.
RCDD

there may not be any stupid questions
but their is a bunch of inquizative idiots
(myself included at times)

Where i live, there's no such things!

We do not have buildings as big as yours, but EVERY time i go to troubleshoot something cables are just done the way they came!

When i install, i personally try to match the cables (voice/data) and do some ''zones'' as i pull...

I saw someone saying you guys only do data outlets and choose only after if it will be data or voice?
That's a pretty good idea!

Here we use BIX termination for the phone
Everything on cat6 cable with cat6 blocks (even phone don't ask me why!)

What are you guys using in the case the phone cables are on a patch panel?
The 25pairs cable from the pbx?

It is nice to see different ways to do the job!

(sorry for my bad english, i usually speak french)

A cross connect field between the system cables and the patch panel cables is what I prefer when the set feeds are also on patch panels, as most systems have 16 port cards. It keeps it cleaner. One company I worked with went from Opt.11c mini's to an 81c. The connections became a night mare to keep straight. If you move sets with in the idf it is a mater of moving a patch cord, but if you move from one idf to another, you need to have the cabling pairs straight forward, ie cable pair 101-124, the 25th pair becomes spare, then it is just a matter of pair 102 goes to jack/cable B12 examp.

Avaya/Nortel/NEC/Asterisk/Access Control/CCTV/DSX/Acti/UCx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back