Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Labels with variable # of lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yetie

Technical User
May 22, 2002
BE
I'm writing a VB6 application for a bakery. Clients come to the bakery during weekdays to order items (mainly cookies, out of about 700 varieties) to be delivered on Sunday. These orders are stored in an mdb. One of the outputs I want to produce are labels with the name of the client on the first line, and underneath all the items he ordered. I put the name of the client in a separate header, the orderlines come in the detail section.

My problem: if the number of orderlines exceeds the height of the label, the printing should switch to the next label, but again with the name of the client on the first line. These labels will be attached later on to the boxes to be filled with the ordered cookies.

I tried and tried, but never succeeded in producing anything useful. Could a merciful soul give me some tips, before I give up and start some tedious coding to print my labels straight from VB ?

Yetie [sadeyes]

Setup the label size. Then set up your label report with grouping and use the name of the client as your first group. Turn on the header for the group set repeat section to yes. Put the client name in that section and your cookies in the detail. This should give you and unlimited number of labels you can use.

Good Luck

Butch

Dear Butch,

Tnx for your very quick reply. But there still seems to be something I do not really grasp:
I put the Client.Name in a group with a Header/No Footer. The orderlines themselves(Number and Cookiename) are in the Detail Section.
I adapted the height of the Header and the Detail to the necessary minimum (height of the respective textboxes).
The Header has now Repeat Section Property True.
In the Page Setup there are 3 Columns, and the width and heigt reflect the dimensions of one label, the layout is Down and then Across.

But when viewing the report, there still is just once the name of the client, and underneath a nice complete list of all the ordered cookies, completely disregarding the actual labelheight. Same result for all the following clients.

What am I doing wrong?

Yetie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back