Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Labels w/ 10 or fewer serial numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geekmomz

MIS
Feb 21, 2002
US
Hi all! I have a question that seems as if it ought to be simple, yet I am having difficulty getting the results I need. Here's the situation: we have a client that issues us a purchase order for repairing units sent in by their customers. They issue their customers an RMA number for their units, and want us to track the RMA number with the units and ship them out grouped by that number.

All of that is do-able, but where I'm having trouble is in generating a report to print the shipping labels, which must have the PO# and RMA # at the top followed by up to 10 serial numbers from the same RMA # (each RMA may have any number of units, but each box must contain up to 10 units from one RMA only). I created a report with the serial numbers grouped first by RMA then serial number, and set the GroupOn property of the serial numbers to Each Value and the GroupInterval to 10 and inserted the PO and RMA in the group header for the serial numbers grouping, and set it to repeat.

The results are that, instead of two columns with three labels in each column with PO, RMA, and up to 10 serial numbers, I am getting two columns with PO and RMA at the top and as many serial numbers as will fit on the page beneath them. I've tried setting New Page or New Col or Row after section, but that doesn't change anything. I have also been able to get the PO and RMA to appear with each serial number, but that's not any more helpful than the other. I can also get just one serial number per label, but that also doesn't solve the problem.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I can do to set this right? I would very much appreciate it.

Geekmomz,

I got close by putting both RMA and PO fields in one header and taking off the grouping on the serial number field.

I'm wasn't able to limit each group to ten serial numbers, however. Sorry.

Ben

Thanks for looking at it. Anybody else have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back