Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Labels created inWord....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PattyH

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
US
Hi Everyone:
I have clients names and addresses in a word doc that I save and I need to type their addresses to a label each time I work in their word doc. Is there a way to type in 10-12 on a new doc and then print to the label sheet? It appears that it will only let me type in one label. Again I want to type in say 10-20 to a sheet. It would also be nice if word would remember the name and address for me so I wouldn't have to type it in again in a new doc.

TIA
Patty

1. Address Book. Put them in your Outlook contacts. Open Word, go to Tools-Customize, choose the Commands tab. On the left-- choose Insert, on the right--find the address book icon and drag it up to your toolbar; close the Customize box. Anytime you want anybody's address inserted, hit the address book, and choose them.

2. Autotext. Type someone's info in a Word doc. Select it. Hit Insert-Autotext, New. Type something that has meaning for you, for instance--their name is John Smith, give the autotext a name like lbljs (meaning label-John Smith) or maybe addjs--you get the idea. Make sure it's more than 3 letters and make sure they're lower case so it's easy for you to type. Now, you do not need to save the current document after you create the autotext entry. Anytime you want that person's name and address inserted, you just type that little code (lbljs or addjs) and hit space or enter.

3. Labels. When you go to create labels, and the box is there to type an address into, hit the New Document button instead. This gives you a sheet of blank labels. Make sure you can see the gridlines (label outlines) by going to Table-Show gridlines. (If you hit Table, and Hide gridlines is showing as an option, then you've already got your gridlines showing.) Once you've typed them all, save the document so you can have a whole sheet of those names for when you need to mail them all at once.

4. Database. Though it is not set up for use in Word, we've got a freebie downloadable database at our web with a rolodex and the ability to create labels for all or just some addresses.

Hope this helps. Anne Troy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back