Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

labeling partner sets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnrobert

Vendor
Jan 30, 2003
US
anyone know of a way to lable the partner phones (neatly not hand written)with the lables that come with the sets,I am aware of the web site desi.com.But imm looking to use the lables that come with the new sets.thank you

Brother P-Touch label maker set at 9 using black on clear label tape. Expensive, time consuming and aggravating unless you're only setting out one new phone. But it works well and looks good.

Another way is to buy clear return address labels and pre-print standard button names for quick cut and paste in the field.

The factory labels are the cheapest thing they could throw in the box, not the best. Your work, no matter how fine, is always judged by the customer by the way the telephone looks when you leave. They seldom have any other guage. Spend the extra half a buck on a quality label and your customers will be yours forever!

With some ink-jet printers, you can set them to feed heavy paper. Use Scotch "post-it" tape (gentle adhesive, shaped like ordinary transparent tape) to affix the factory label to some 8.5 x 11 paper, preferably heavier. Be sure to cover the entire edge of the factory label that goes into the printer first, to prevent it from catching on your printer internals.

You can use the Desi.com software, or just use MS Power Point for more flexibility.

you could use a glue stick to stick the label to a peice of paper and then use a typewriter to label

after you type the label should peel of the paper

I know we used to do it that way way back when ....

its time consuming and may take a little trial and error but it will work

personally I love the desi lables and software . a true bargin in my opion

I use an Excel spreadsheet, with the cells arranged to match the button layout on the factory supplied desi sheets. They go through an HP lazerjet printer without hanging up on any of the internals (well, except for the Partner-6 labels, you have to tape a piece of plain paper to the back of the desi to get it through, but don't do a whole lot of 6's)

TTT:

Are you willing to furnish a copy of the Excel file you use?

Thanks!

- Joel

Id like as copy of that also

I have a file I used to use for the tie/nitsuko onyx phones and it took quite a while to get it worked out right

I suspect the partner file would also

Hi TTT,
I'd also love a copy of that if you'll share!
-Chris

OK, send your request to:

touch_tone_tommyNOSPAM@yahoo.comNOSPAM (remove the obvious parts)

and I will send it on to you.

The file from Avaya is pdf. If you have access to Adobe Writer, Not Reader you can edit. I believe you can use Word and "annotate" on top of the file... Good Luck

OLd fashioned I have an old smith corona typewriter that is fast and works great for this application

Or, even better.

All the partner techs of the world should all place calls to Avaya, and bug them to make easy to label phones like Legend/Magix. Where you can print off the label, and cut on the dotted lines..

I wouldn't be so bothered by the desi sheets except that they are so damned expensive. Blank paper for Merlin phones is cheap. Buying desi sheets for $3 each, or in packs of 10 when I only need one, plus the inevitable shipping charges, gets to be too much.

Oh yeah, ever try to cut out around the buttons on a Partner or MLX? That'll keep you out of trouble for a while! The desi's should be cheaper.
I had to respace TTT's sheet for my printer, but it works well. Thanks again Tommy!

I've been using Overlay Pro since day one. Matter of fact they used to have a deal with Lucent where Lucent included the Overlay Pro Partner software with their remote administration software. Overlay Pro would in turn give Lucent dealers a reduced price on the forms. I guess Avaya had other ideas because this is no longer.

At any rate Overlay Pro (overlaypro.com) forms are only about $.50 each and unlike Baudcom all the friggin holes are punched! These are the best around.

I know, the software is $82.00 but I had mine from when they were giving it away.

-Hal

Well, if all else fails, break out the X-ACTO knife, and have at it!! Cutting out every teeny, weeny little button. Its tedious, but it does work. And it is cheaper then desi's. I used to hate buying those for the Merlin BIS sets.

You know, I completely understand the concept of doing things yourself, but the idea of hand-making desi's is absolutely rediculous!

Presuming your time is worth between $1 or $2/minute (that's $60-$120/hr)..

You could print TWO Desi strips (at 0.50/ea) for a customer's phone at that price.. How you bill for that is completely up to you, you could even give them away (presuming the cost is built into your pricing) - but if you have to custom make each one, there is NO WAY you'd be giving them away.

Just my two cents - coming from a technician, and a business owner. :)

- Joel

Hi All,
If you go to you can download free desi software for all makes of sets. You can buy the desi sheets through them for around $.50/set. You can save all of it in your dbase for future reference. It works great. I usually give the software to the customer and they do their own desis after the initial install
TBW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back