Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Labeling ASA 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyan656

Vendor
Mar 6, 2009
US
I'm doing some cleanup of agent and stations. Currently we dont label stations and agent ID's the same and seems like we have a few stations not used or getting deleted when employees get terminated. Just wanted some feed back on labeling techniques?
Currently Labeled: John Doe for agent and station would be *Marketing-DepartmentD2.
Any advice would be appreciated?

Forgot to add using 5 digits agent numbers as well as 5 digit for station

If you are doing this because you only want people to call one extension for John Doe, why not lable the extension ~~Doe, John. The double tilde prevents users from searching for them in the directory, but allows you to find them for termination purposes.

- Stinney

I love learning and passing on knowledge. "Because knowing is half the battle".... GI JOOOOOE!

We generally use Surname, Firstname for the station and ~~Surname, Firstname for the agent.

We have done it the other way around for some departments as they require their agentID's to be displayed in the directory rather than their station.

To make things easier we use two different number ranges for agentIDs and stations - i.e 1xxx for stations and 6xxx for agentIDs. This allows us to be able to keep the last 3 digits the same for each person, e.g John Smith would look like the below;

Station: 1234 Smith, John
AgentID: 6234 ~~Smith John

Thank Stinney and r0guespear.

Stinney I have been trying for some time now to find the symbol to remove from directory.
I have use *steve smith and it shows as smith and then would do *steve*smith or *stevesmith to not show also tried !.

Why do I need two ~~ I notice if I do only one ~steve smith it will not show with just one. Just wanted to clarify before I Start to use ~

Also do you think it’s important to match station ID with agent IDs (29000 Agent ID, 69000 Sta ID) or will it make things more cumbersome and complicated (working with 3,000 agents and just want to establish a good programming base)

Thanks again!
sym

Joe Blow DID 1234" name for emergency user

cm4 and higher:
change name to "~~Joe Blow DID 1234" now hides this user from directory
This will not affect DID calls.

pre cm4:
change name to "*Joe Blow DID 1234" now hides this user from directory
This will not affect DID calls.

Add new extension "Joe Blow DID 3456" can be found in directory and program all
calls to cover to attendant on all calls for the attendant to complete transfers
to Joe or Joe's voicemail.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
prior to CM 4 you could hide names and keep them hidden from the directory
search with more characters than ~~. You can look this up under integrated
directory in the Avaya Feature Description Documentation.

In cm4 and newer loads this is under "administerable language displays" in the
docs.

Enhancements for Communication Manager 4.0
Communication Manager 4.0 has enhanced the Integrated Directory feature. This
Integrated Directory feature now provides the ability to look up names with
international characters (Latin letter with a diacritic) when Display Character
Set = Roman.
Another enhancement is the ability to search on names using Cyrillic characters
(Display Character Set = Cyrillic or Ukrainian).
The following are the changes to Integrated Directory feature as a result of
these changes:
- The ability to hide names (Display Character Set = Roman) can only be
accomplished if the name begins with two tildes. Before Communication Manager
4.0, other symbols might have been used to hide names. This is no longer
supported. If your site was using a symbol other then the tilde to hide names,
the recommended upgrade procedure is to export such names to a CSV file. You
must do a global change on the symbol you used replacing such symbol with two
tildes. After making the change, import the data back to your Communication
Manager server.
- Before Communication Manager 4.0, the asterisk was one character that when
used as a wild card to skip the comma in Integrated Directory names such as
"Doe, John." The comma is now supported on button 1 and so the one key should
be pressed rather then the asterisk key when you want to move past the comma
in any Integrated Directory name.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"
Avaya. Too little or no help? Expensive?
For FAST switch support at bargain rates, give bsh a call.

bsh

40 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 30 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

Numbering schemes are whatever you think are the best. Keeping good clean ranges is always a good practice, provided they haven't been mucked up by prior administration that didn't care to keep things clean an logical.

It's not important to match them, it doesn't do anything to functionality, but it can help you administratively and help the agents remember what their numbers are.

- Stinney

I love learning and passing on knowledge. "Because knowing is half the battle".... GI JOOOOOE!

Stinney it has been mucked up by prior administration [rednose]. Currently all agents are in directory and stations are not * asterisk (but still display haha).

You and r0guespear both have station ID in directory and agent ID not (~~) in directory. Currently its backwards here. I just can’t seem to wrap my head around doing it your and r0quespears way??? I will probably leave it the way it is and continue to do this way unless you think otherwise?

The voicemail box is attached to their agent ID are you attaching VM to station ID?

At my current company they attach the voicemail to the extension/station and not the Agent ID.

It my prior company, they attached the voicemail to the Agent ID and published the Agent ID and not the extension/station.

The reason at the old company to use the Agent ID was that the agent could sit at any station and log in as an Agent, the stations were not specific to any one agent. Agent's also developed one-on-one relationships with customers and the Agent's were allowed to give out their Agent ID to receive calls directly from customers. This also made it easier when terminating or on-boarding agents as we didn't have to worry about adding a station, or removing/changing the station on the desks used by agents.

At my current company, agents are assigned a specific desk and an extension that is assinged to that desk, they don't move around unless there is a move order and then we move the phone to the new location. They also use IP Agent and we are starting to use one-X Agent. They need to have the same extension to log into each time. There are times that agents are not logged into their Agent ID and are just using the phones. It's just the way the call center managers want it for workforce projecting, so that's the way they do it. So if you leave a voicemail for an agent on their Agent ID and they aren't logged in, the voicemail lamp doesn't light on the phone. So unless you want to always have to add a voicemail lamp button on the phone for their Agent ID it's easier to use the extension. The extensions are also DIDs and the Agent IDs are not.

I'm sure there are possible reporting reasons to allow the Agent ID's to be published and using Direct Agent Dialing and reasons not to, I just haven't had to look into it.

- Stinney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back