Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Label tapes in order rather than

Status
Not open for further replies.

richsabe

Technical User
Jul 21, 2004
US
Running Backup Exec v9.00 rev 4454 on a Dell 2450 with Windows 2000 Server. Have a little annoyance that I can't figure out hopeing someone has figured it out.

Here is the situation: I label x tapes as T1,...Tx then put them in the appropriate slots. I go to Devices and tell the software to label slot 1 as T1, then slot 2 as T2, etc for the rest of them. The problem is it pulls them in and labels them in random order (i.e first it pulls in 1 and labels as T1, then it pulls in 5 and labels it as T5, then it pulls in 2 and labels it as T2, etc.) But the order it pulls them in changes every time.

Just annoying since it uses them in the backup in the order it labeled them and sometimes I label more than the backup actually uses. The way it does it: if I label 6 and the backup uses 4 it would be neater if it used 1, 2, 3, 4 rather than 1, 3, 5, 2 or whatever it turned out to be.

Is there a way to tell BE to label the tapes in the order I said to do them in?

I didn't see a reply to date, so maybe this will help. Has this worked in the past and recently failed? If the tapes are being labeled correctly (as you assigned them), it sounds like the problem may be due to the mode you have selected for your tape library. It sounds like your library mode is set to "random" mode, which performs as advertised by picking available media as such. You should also have a "stacker" option available (for either a soft configuration selection, or a hard switch selection on the library itself). Stacker mode picks tapes in sequential order from top to bottom / first to last until it runs out of media. You may want to verify that setting.

The tapes are being pulled by their allocated date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back