Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAB using home DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

technickelone

Programmer
Mar 10, 2004
US
Do I simply use a crossover cable from a port on my AT&T 2WIRE router and plug it into a TI CSU/DSU port or a fastE port.
But what IP do I configure the port with. This is probably a big DUH but I am confused.

From there I will build my CCNA lab with three routers and switches.

Thanks

The absolute best way is to get a 2621 and a WIC-1ADSL.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Well for now I may just have to do with what I have. I guess I could feed directly into a router fast port

What router(s) do you have?

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

technickelone,

I will say this again and again, set up your lab seperate from your Intenet connection with your 3 routers and switches, you will need a good computer and Internet connection to find answers when you get stuck, to download the lastest IOS or study guides etc.

The key bennifit of a lab is to be able to wipe it out and start over, or to try different things - again and again and again !!!!!!!

If it is part of your Internet connection you will be adding addtional complexity and frustration, understanding what you need to know on the routers and swithces for CCNA is frustrating enough :) :)

Once you have a very good grasp the routers and switches - then worry about running a connection to your Internet!!!

And if you have not seen Wendell Odom's 9 part Networkworld blog about setting up a CCNA home lab it is worth the read -

Just my thoughts after teaching in a Cisco Network Academy since 1999.

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Excelllent advice ciscoguy, With my lab i actually purchased a seprate line, 25$ a month from comcast with for additional dynamic ip's for advanced studies...Well worth it.

20 yrs old, working towards my CCNP. Looking for a new job :)

I'm with Ciscoguy, but it is still possible to have your lab access the internet through your home connection...just don't set it up so your "production" computers' connection to the internet aren't disrupted by your lab time.

Plus, I think it's a great way to help your skills. Figure out how to setup one of your routers with a connection to your network and have it route to the internet.

This was probably one of my better lessons.

lerdalt,

Exactly what I am saying but once he has a basic understanding of his lab.

I have had students in the Cisco Academy do this and they get so hung up in trying to get the lab to connect or it is their main connection and the whole network goes "south" when they try something in their "lab".

And once you have a good grasp - it is a GREAT "real world" experience to be able to tie your lab to the home "production" network and to replace your Net Gear or Linksys router with a Cisco router and switch!!!!

Hope this helps!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Ciscoguy,

I didn't even think of interrupting the connection. The wife may get a little bothered by that so maybe I will just feed a cable over for access and nothing else until I master this.

I look forward to learning this.

Just passed my CCENT and getting a little eager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back