Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lab Ideas anyone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2007
GB
Hi guys,
I currently have a bit of kit to work with and am looking to get the best out of it....I've had it set up a few times but I'm not sure I've got the most out of it. Here's what I have :
3 2600 routers
1 1721 router
1 2950 switch
2 Serial WICs with back to back cabling
4 SHDSL WICS and 1 ADSL

I've set up EIGRP IGRP OSPF RIP. Also deleted the IOS accidentally a few times so have run the tftpdnld from ROMMMON and sorted that.

Got my test coming up soon so just need a few ideas on what's the best way to connect this all up.

Your help is appreciated
Ross

The only things I'd suggest going through yet would be some static routing, acls, and nat.

If you had a couple more switches, I'd suggest spanning tree stuff as well, but kind of hard to do that without creating a loop.

One thing I did that really helped me the most was with EIGRP and OSPF creating some test networks, and firing off debug commands to watch the LSA, and the setup of a connection. Also taking screen prints of the routing table for an OSPF stub, NSSA, and Totally Stubby area just to better understand what does and does not show up in the routing table for each.

Thanks Lerdalt,
I'm pretty confident on my static routing and ACLs but NAT is something I need to work on.

Also set up OSPF and EIGRP but didn't run any debugs so that's another good idea.

Cheers
Ross

debug ip eigrp traffic
and
debug ip ospf traffic
are two good ones. I would also have three switches connected to eachother and enable vtp and set up vlans, and watch the root bridge elections happen. You can also connect them all to eachother and disable spanning-tree (no spanning-tree) so you can see how broadcast storms are generated. Password recovery on routers and switches should also be practiced a lot.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back