Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lab equiptment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlecuru

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
I am thinking of purchasing some lab equiptment to assist me in the CCNP exam. Ebay has stuff ranging from 20k to around 500$. Anyone have any insight/advice or horror stories to help in the purchase.

tlecuru,

Read the fine print in the ads very carefully!!!!!

I have a CCNP lab that I put together from Ebay of Cisco 2501, 2502, 2503, 2507, 2511, 2514, 2520, 2523 and 2524 routers, some bought as groups some bought by themselves. I also have several Cisco switches and Cisco Fast 400 hubs.

I read the Cisco Press book "CCNA Practical Studies" by CCIEs Gary Heap and Lynn Maynes ISBN - 1-58720-046-5, it builds an 8 router lab (a little much for CCNA) from the ground up going into great detail about the configs.

It became the foundation for my CCNP lab which is a Frame Relay mesh network with a main hub and 3 spokes - very complex but it has come in handy as I study Cisco with hopes of being CCIE one day.

On Ebay read the fine print and watch shipping costs - look at who is selling, what else is he selling and what have others reported about him.

DO NOT FORGET - cables, rack mounts, transievers, AUIs, RAM, FLASH and Cisco IOS - I have become an expert on Cisco 2500 routers by reading so many Ebay ads and then checking back at the Cisco site.

Read the ad and then read it again !!! Watch different ads and get a feel for what things are selling for. Do a search under Cisco equipment for "lab or labs" - you might find a complete setup in one deal - but look at lots of ads and DO NOT jump on the first one without doing some research.

I have bought over 200 items on Ebay from $5 up to $1,200 and I only had 3 bad experiences, and 2 of those worked out ok and the 3rd was not worth dealing with (a $5 Cisco hub's face plate was broken in shipping).

Have fun !!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Sounds like good advice. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back