Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAB 2950-24 SSH issue!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synonix

Technical User
Oct 2, 2008
US
ok guys i got a 2950 24 port switch and im trying to configure it with SSH. i just formatted the flash and loaded up an IOS i thought would support ssh but it seems the SI for this IOS version dosent support SSH and the EI does.

now is SI and EI 2 different IOS OS's or does it just matter what switch you put it on....

example:

my 2950-24 port switch with 12.1(12c)EA1 = SI

some random 2950C-24 switch with 12.1(12c)EA1 = EI ??

hope u get what im asking...

oh and lastly does anyone know of an IOS version for the 2950-24 that DOES support SSH?

Thanks for the help!!

i got SSH to work on the switch with what seems to be the newest IOS version for the 2950-24 but now im having another problem:

i got everything ready for SSH to work including domain names and enabling it through VTY.

I add a username and password through the console and try to log on via SSH and it keeps saying my password is incorrect... i thought i typed it wrong so deleted the username and tried again... i can type in my username to get the banner then when it asks for my password it just keeps saying access denied when i type it in... ITS THE RIGHT PASSWORD I JUST TYPED IT IN CONSOLE!! any ideas?

did you specify a password in the vty configuration? Just thinking maybe it's trying to use that password instead.

username wtf priv 15 secret is-going-on
crypto key gen rsa mod 1024
hostname NachoCheese
ip domain name TacoHell
line vty 0 15
login local
trans in ssh tel
ssh ver 2 (if it supports it...)

SI=Standard Image, EI=Enhanced Image---do the math!

the IOS has to have "k9" in it (crypto) to support ssh. Then from a router connected to it (assuming the VLAN info is correct for whatever SVI you're using in the switch)...like

vlan 1
no ip add
shut
vlan 69
ip add 10.1.1.69 255.255.255.252
no shut
int fa 0/1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 69
switchport port-security mac-address sticky
switchport port-security max 1
switchport port-security violation shutdown
and on the router...

int fa0/0
ip add 10.1.1.70 255.255.255.252
no shut
no ip red

router#ssh -l wtf 10.1.1.69

you get the prompt, and it asks "password for wtf"

you enter is-going-on

DO IT NOW!!! lol

and NO---you do NOT need the ip default-gateway in the switch unless you need it or anything connected to it past 10.1.1.68/30

Have fun, good luck, mazel tov (for listening to us...:) )

-TIMMAY!

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(25c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1523-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 11-Feb-1539 23:02 by ßµ®†Šß€€Š

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [ÝØÝØMØÑ], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Edge uptime is 469¼

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back