Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L80 connections 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackywing

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2008
FR
Hello Forum,

Any body knows the L80 connection diagram?
how the SCSI cables should be connected on the back side of the library.

Do you know also what is the product number of the SCSI cable, the small black cable.

Thanks,

==1ST CABLE==
Host to library controller
controller to top drive
top drive to 2nd top drive + terminate

==2ND CABLE==
host to 3rd top drive
3rd top drive to 4th top drive + terminate

And so on if more drives in library...

The small black scsi cables are
3137088xx (300 mm LVD)
3136451xx (300 mm HVD)

Thank you for the valuable information. however the server has only 2 connections and i want to connect 6 drives. How should i do that?

should i SCSI chain the 5th and 6th drive with the 3rd and 4th?

Thank you for the valuable reply.

Yes that will work OK.

StorageTek don’t recommend more than two drives on a bus for reasons of throughput. When a tape drive starts to stream, it runs at its maximum transfer rate. You want every drive on the bus to be able to do this, which gives maximum backup speed and minimum head to tape wear.

You want to get the specs for your tape drive type, and compare that to the specs for the host adapter. If the combined transfer rate for the drives is more than what the adapter can deliver, then consider adding another adapter to the server.

Hello STKman,

Thanks for the replies, I will check the specs related and see what is best for that.
About SCSI ids. Since each two drives will have it's own SCSI domain if i might say so i should be sure that none of these have same SCSI ids, or better i will be sure that no drive has the same ID as another one along the 6 drives. Have you ever done a firmware upgrade through http? I might face some surprises? will the firmware of the drives be upgraded also with the same "2.15" image or each drive should have its own firmware image?

If you are using only two SCSI cables, at least to begin with, then try this address scheme:

First SCSI cable:
L80 = 0
Top drive = 1
2nd top drive = 2
3rd top drive = 3 + terminate

Next SCSI cable:
4th top drive = 0
5th top drive = 1
6th top drive = 2 + terminate

The normal and safe way to update the L80 is using Windows XP 'Hyper Terminal' connected to the CE port at the rear of the library. You need a Cat5 Ethernet patch cable (used as a serial cable) and an RJ45 to DB9 adapter with the STK pin-out. These parts ship with library.

2.15 is the highest level, but L80 code does nothing to the tape drives. If all six of your tape drives show up as "empty" on the L80 operator panel then just use them. There is no need to worry about tape drive firmware if they are working OK.

OK I will do that,
The intervention is scheduled for next week. I will keep you informed.

Thank you for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back