Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L700e Initialization failure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

uchesn

MIS
Mar 16, 2002
NL
My L700e library fails while initializing, right after the "Endstop sweep" and just as it is about to do the "Master Target Calib". FSC codes posted include #3204 NONE, #3203 NONE, #3201 NONE, #30A2 Z, #30A2 THETA, #3288 NONE, #3322 NONE, #3007 NONE, #309E REACH.

After the failure, a reset has no effect on the arm and it doesn't even do the endstop sweep any longer!

If I power down the library, unplug athe data cable to the arm, replug it and power up again, it does the endstop sweep again but again stops immediately after.

My questions:
Has anyone experienced this or similar before and what did you do?
What do these error codes mean?
How can I get the Service Manual for this library?
How can I get a complete list of error codes?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I've seen this problem loads of times. The hand is failing to initialize. 99% certain you need the hand replaced, but sometimes it can be a problem with the flex cable or MPC (main logic) card.

It sounds like the L700e is not under contract with anyone, so you need to open an ad hoc service call with an independent STK repair company in your region. StorageTek themselves (now part of Sun Microsystems) is another possibility but this will be the most expensive option.

Where are you based? I might be able to recommend someone. Just as an indicator, a second user hand will set you back somewhere in the region of £500 - £750 UK.

Another idea is just to buy the hand (part number 30366382x) from a dealer and fit it yourself, but if the hand was OK and it proves to be the cable or MPC your repair could work out quite expensive...

It sounds like you are having a proximity detect problem with the hand. We do repair these. Call Michael at Pinetree Peripherals (303)776-5066. Tell him Andy sent you from the Tek-Tips page.

Thanks for your response STKman.
I'm based in Port Harcourt, Nigeria and would love to know anyone you can recommend.

I'm obviously hoping the problem is only with the MPC or cable (who wouldn't?), but how would you suggest I isolate each?

I actually have four L700e's and this is scaring me, because we've previously had to change out the operator panel on this particular library, and the arm on one of the others. Could you possibly suggest preventive measures, maybe a spares list and the like? Also, how can I get a service manual for it?

Thanks again.

If you have access to 4 L700's, you could always swap parts from one to the other if they are not all busy. That proximity problem I mentioned isn't correct.....I was looking at working on something else. From the FSC's it looks like their might be a cart. stuck in the hand. It is a reach safe error and not a proximity problem.

Andy

Unfortunately, all 4 L700e's are busy so part swapping isn't immediately an option, while physical inspection shows the hand to be empty.

The L-Series has no periodic maintenance schedule as such, so you are not going to be able to stop problems by greasing parts and changing bulbs like in the old days. You will really have to do what the rest of us have to do, and spare up for this kind of problem. To be well equipped for ongoing L700 support you need, at minimum:

The hand 303663823
The MPC 308390514
The flex cable 303679701
A Fiber Interface (if not using SCSI) and of course
A Tape drive of the type you use

It might be cheaper purchasing a second user, minimum spec machine and stripping it down. You will get all the parts above plus the other stuff like the CAP, Theta and Z motors, ops panel etc.

In the EMEA region we use and for our spares needs. They are based in Denmark but service Africa also.

Tip: A minimum L180 is cheaper than a minimum L700. The spares are the same apart from the flex cable (too short) and the operator panel. If you don’t have access to firmware then get the broker to supply a machine at the highest possible firmware level.

We aware that flex cables are known to wear out where the cable rubs against the metal strip inside the snakeskin, in the area where it loops. It shorts out the 35 volts and blows the fusible links in the MPC. If you ever get an L700 that eats MPC cards then this will be the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back