Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L700 stk tape drive not backing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

wari6

Technical User
Nov 7, 2006
US
hi all please i need help. there is an L700 tape library installed the problem I"m having with it that it faills whenever they want to do a back up or restore. if i replace any of the drives with a new one, it work just for a little while and then the new drive will go bad like the exsiting ones but i dont think the drives are bad. i have replace three new drives now but still no lock. It all so give this information 30b1 258 REACH. but the robotic arm can load cartriges into the drives.
what could be the problem?

wari.

Wari6,

30B1 is a problem where the reach mechanism is going overcurrent placing or retrieving cartridges. The hand might be managing to load the tape units but this is a serious problem. The 258 indicates the number of hits. You can try cleaning the grippers and blowing the hand interior with a presurised air can but aside from this there is not much you can do, the library requires service.

You say the backups fail, but fail due to what? Do you get write/read/media fails during data transfer? If not, then going by the error code and the fact that multiple drives are involved, I think you have a hand problem.

Assuming you don't have the L700 maintained by StorageTek I would ask for a quote for a new hand, either from STK or a local company who do STK maintenance. It is part number 303663814 or higher and you are looking at something like £600 UK pounds or the equivilant + labour. If can fit it yourself quite easily. It is held on by 4 torx screws and connected by two flat cables. If you look at the new hand it is obvious where the 4 screws go.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back