Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L40 & Veritas 9.1 Net back up Robot OFF LINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris969404

Technical User
Oct 6, 2006
US
Has any one experienced this problem?
L40 Library with 4 x Seagate LTO1 scsi drives, 2 drives and library connected to one port on a Fiber router, the other two drives connected to the second port of router.
Library at rev 2.15.03. Server running Win2003 SP1 and Veritas 9.1. On April 20th the LLC card was replaced because the customer said the library was erratic in operation. Veritas keeps saying changer is OFF LINE. The robot and four drives all visible on Windows. After replacing the LLC card and reloading firmware all has bee fine until today (April 25th) and the problem has reared its head again. Identical to problem on April 20th. No errors show on L40 OP Panel and robot says ready.
Any idease please?

Hard one this. Any SCSI messages in Windows event logs such as timeouts, or Veritas's own logs? The default SCSI id for the library is 0 but that makes it lower priority than the streaming drives on its shared bus, which are usually 1 and 2. You could try 6 for the library (not 7!). Does anything happen to the two LTO drives on library SCSI bus when L40 goes offline, ie jobs abend?

If no indications anywhere, then get customer to check with Veritas that they are at latest patch level. On the hardware front, can customer try a different GBIC on the switch or maybe move the L40/2xLTO's fibre cable to a different switch port. Also, I've seen situations where a drive (although working) can cause problems on a bus. You could put the L40 onto the bus for the other two LTO's. Its also worth checking all the pins on these flat scsi cables at the L40 rear, and the Y-Cables that go to the drives, expescially if a drive has been replaced in the recent past.

Hi George, This is only a two port(scsi) Fiber router. The customer has had Veritas in and they cannot see any problem there. I must admit I have not checked the GBIC connector, I did ask the customer to change the robot address to 6 but not sure if he has done so.It could be worth moving the robot to the other scsi port on the router. This is an internal router that fits in the slot above the Drives on the L40. I did get the engineer to check the scsi cables and he assurred me they were all OK. I am wondering if we have an internal cable fault on the LLC card. I am even considering swapping out the chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back