Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L2 cache 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aconakc

Technical User
Jan 9, 2001
US
hi,

Do you think it's possible to get a CPU without the cache on board. I just built a second computer like the one i've been using except I used an 3.4GHz Intel 650 vs 550 (2MB L2 vs 1MB L2). Same mother board, video card, 2GB RAM, everything! But my computer is running very strangely. (slow, frequent locks) Explorer.exe is using 50-60% of CPU according to Task Manager. I realize "slow" and "lock" are words often associated with windows, but I have had no similar problems with the old computer. Plus I am using the hard drive from the old computer wothout any changes. In my BIOS setup it says I have no L2 cache and CPU Spy says I have no L2 cache. Has anyone ever heard of this??? do these programs read what the CPU tells them it is supposed to have on board or do they actually try to access the cache and determine actual amount onboard. I bought the CPU, supposedly brand new, on ebay so I just know I'm going to get screwed trying to get a replacement.

WinXP SP2, 3.4 GHz Intel 650 CPU w/2MB L2 cache, ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256MB PCIE x16 video, Intel D915PBL MB

Thanks Jeff

aconakc,

Well XP is not supposed to allow a CPU upgrade without an install.

I would suppose that they are just similar enough that it alowed booting but that there is also enough difference that is causing the problems you are seeing.

I suggest you back up your data while you can. Then do a repair install.

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

This might also provide some insight as to what the Install does...not specifically what you are doing but the procedure is similar

How to replace the motherboard on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

I Hope This Helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

[blue]Do you think it's possible to get a CPU without the cache on board[/blue]"

Jeff, L2 is manufactured on the CPU die and is vital to its overall performance. Even if it were an option, you wouldn't want to take it for a modern PC and Windows environment.

I'd say that the likely reason it's not detecting the L2 is because the BIOS doesn't properly recognize the CPU, or it needs to be reset to its defaults.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS update:
CY91510A.86A.0039.2005.0913.1842

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Hi again,

Thanks rvnguy, I didn't know about the inability to upgrade a motherboard with XP. Tried to follow the directions to "repair it" but it completely wiped out anything to do with windows. The computer seems to work OK now but lost all settings, users, favorites, and program menus, etc. And since it wiped out the windows files it wiped many dll's so most programs have to be reinstalled. Oh well, at least I still have my data.

But oddly enough the BIOS still doesn't read any cache. I have run several utilities and on two out of five have found it.

Anyway, thanks again
Jeff

Did you try the suggestion to upgrade your BIOS?

hi cdogg,

Yes. The bios is the newest, version 0039, and it still says there is zero cache on the cpu.

By the way, I wasn't looking to buy a chip without cache. I was wondering the odds of a chip missing the cache or having a completely non-functional cache without disabling the entire cpu.

Thanks , jeff

There might be a setting in the BIOS causing the issue. Have you tried resetting them back to the defaults?

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

yes I have. I reset defaults before the bios upgrade. no cache. after upgrade, no cache.

Like I said, I ran a couple utilities that said I have 2MB cache and several others that say I have none. If two found it I guess it's there. The computer is working fine right now.
It's just confusing as to why an Intel board with their BIOS won't find the cache on an Intel chip. The same board and same bios finds the cache on on a 550 chip in my other computer...

Anyway thanks for the help. As long as doesn't crash on me I'll accept the fact that is there and press on.

Jeff

I do think the problem is one of "recognition" the 600 series with 2meg L2 are amongst the newest Intel CPU's and
the Intel D915PBL on the other hand is a bit of an "old timer"
We know you have the latest bios but are you absolutely sure this chip is 100% compatible with this motherboard?

Personally I would send Intel an email requesting clarification at the same time stating your problem, hopefully they will have some answers.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Ok this mite sound a bit stupid, but did u inspect the CPU once u got it off eBay ? Were the pins ( or the holes for the pins rather ) in their good condition, with no foreign matter or any sorta odd luk on them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back