Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L2 cache problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bygeek

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2002
US
P4 system was unable to boot, and would randomly reboot. Got it to run long enough to generate a BSOD with MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. Disabled L2 cache in bios and boots fine, no crashes. I ran the microsoft memory diagnostic and it failed in the first pass (MATS+) at 004de000-1fff8000. No error, just froze up the program. Swapped out memory chip and ran again - failed at exactly the same spot. Disabled L2 cache in bios and ran again - no errors. Does this confirm the L2 cache on the processor has failed? I've never heard of this happening, but I suppose anything is possible.

I would check the settings to make sure you are not applying the wrong voltage or incorrect MHZ or whatever. Also make sure the power supply has enough wattage to run everything.

Of course the processor could just be bad.

Processors have a very short return time to most retailers, so return it fast if that is what you think it is. Make sure there are no bent pins also.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Yep, make sure you have the correct FSB set. Assuming you didn't accidently overclock your system, I doubt you have a damaged L2 cache, though any part of the on-die memory system can be damaged.

You might also want to try flashing your BIOS to the latest revision. An update might fix this issue. Post back with the make/model of your mobo if you continue to have problems.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back