Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KXTD1232 connect to serial printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danomaniac

Programmer
Jan 16, 2002
US
I'm trying to connect a printer to the serial port on the KX-TD1232 in order to keep a written log of all phone activity. I was under the impression that every time there is a call, data is dumped to the serial printer? Is this correct? Do I need to turn it on somehow? What are the default settings? Stop bits, baud rate, etc?

thanks for any help

Dan

"It's more like it is now, than it ever has been."

if you have a manual look under SMDR for the specs

are you using a serial printer or serial adapter ?

skip,
I'm using a parallel printer with a serial to parallel converter.

Ill post the smdr specs later when I have access to the manual, unless someone beats me to it

Hi Danomanic
sig name 1232------> RS 232 sig name
FG 1------------1 FG
TXD 2------------3 RXD
RXD 3------------2 TXD
CTS 5 DSR 6 \----------20 DTR
SG 7------------7 SG
DTR 20------------{ 5,6,8 CTS,DSR,DCD
This is using DB25 type
hope this helps
Hitechbuzz

Thanks Hitechbuzz,

Once I connect it to a printer, should it already be outputting in real-time? or do I need to turn the printout function on? Thanks for all your help.

Dan

You asked for the comm settings. Here they are:

9600 baud
8 bit word length
Mark parity
1 stop bit

The serial port on the D1232 is, by default, set to output incoming and outgoing calls. Remember, a line of information is outputted whenever someone hangs up the phone. This is so all the information, including the duration of the call, is outputted.

On more thing: Your serial-to-parallel connection also requires the crossing of pins 2 and 3, generally attained by using a standard serial null-modem adaptor.

Mr Peabody,
I am having difficulty. I'm using a standard null modem adapter and serial to parallell converter. I've set the dip-switch settings on the converter for 9600 baud, 8 bit word length, and 1 stop bit. There are four parity settings: Odd, Even, Non, and Non ? I've tried all four.

Is the data automatically outputted by default or is it a function I have to enable somehow? Also, is it immediately upon hang-up or after a delay? I don't have access to an O-Scope or I would look at the data on the pins to see if there's actually something there. At this point, I don't know if my setup is bad, the converter, and/or printer is bad, or there is no data being sent.

Am I supposed to build the cable described by Hitechbuzz without a null modem adapter, or use a standard serial cable with an adapter? If I need to build the cable, should I tie pin 20 to pin 5,6,or 8?

For something that seems simple, I am having a heck of a time.

Thanks for any help

Dan

the system is sensitive to null modem.
I normally use a "smart cable " that emulates a null modem connection it works on every other phone system and voicemail that I program except panasonic---no connection.

someone sugested I try a Radio shack null modem adapter and it worked fine you might want to try that.

thanks,
I'll give it a try.

Hi Guys
Sorry been tied up for a while the cable as desribed above is DB25 -- DB25 and incororates the crossover i.e. pin2--> 3 and pin 3-->2 if you get a RS232 mini tester this will show if data is passing & being output at end of call. On pages 2-38,2-39 & 2-40 of the installation manual are details for this 2-40 says an ON condition of the CTS indicates that the printer is ready to receive data from the unit. tHE UNIT DOES NOT attempt to transfer data if the CS(CTS) is OFF.
I can send the DB25--> DB9 connections if you are using that. the mini tester will show what's happening.
Cheers Brian

The KSU by default only prints when calls are completed. You can program it to print a line when the first ring is received. It will also print out a line of SMDR when a call is transferred to another extension, but only if that extension answers.

You can go into program 806 and change the RS232 parameters.
I prefer 9600,8,N,1.

Before you go too crazy suspecting the KSU, try a nul-modem cable and connect the KSU to a PC running hyperterm. Set Hyperterm to the correct PC COM port, 9600,8,N,1 and NO flow control. Within 30 seconds of connecting to the KSU you should see a modem init string come across the wire. (however, this too can be supressed in programming.)

This is pretty basic stuff, so you should be okay. If it wouls on the PC but not the printer, carefully examine the requirements of the serial-parallel convertor. Remember: just because some plastic shelled device has the right looking connectors on it does not suggest it is an active serial-parallel convertor. So, as silly as it may sound: make sure you really have one ther and what signals and handshaking it requires.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back