Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KVM with DVI/HDMI/DP and USB 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
From personal experience, can anyone recommend a good but innexpensive 4 port KVM switch that supports more modern video inputs and outputs than just VGA? I'd like to be able to support computers that have VGA/DVI/HDMI/Display Port outputs, but really everything but VGA, since it seems VGA is going the way of the dinosaur on new machines in the last year or two. We just got some new Dell's in at work, and not one of them has a VGA output.

I've got a Raritan SW4 Switchman USB that I love at home, but that's my personal one. I'd rather find something that's not VGA any longer for work. The one I found is VGA only, but besides that the USB is super flaky: Cables to go unit, I can get model # later if needed for reference.

Thanks for any thoughts.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I've had great luck with ioGears VGA and DVI kvms.
Here's the 4 port dvi that I've used in the past:
We've been requiring computers with vga since the price break is just nuts on the kvms.

Thanks for the suggestion! That looks like a good model. I've used a couple 2 port ioGears KVMs in the past that were simple and worked flawlessly. I might see if we can give that one a try here at work.

I don't understand why there's such a lack of post-VGA KVM switches when technology is clearly moving away from VGA. DVI/HDMI/DP cables are all available, and often very cheap. I wonder if there is something more difficult / expensive switching digital video vs analog video.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Tons of them on Newegg, not cheap, but a lot of them, also, just look at DVI, as the same signal is used in DVI,HDMI and DP Just need a DVI to ?? adapter. And since DVI-I can carry the analog signals it is backwards compatible to VGA, Just need to make sure the cables and switch support that feature if needed. Saying "low cost" means different amounts to different people. So, I will give recommendations if I know the budget, say 150.00 to 250.00 for a decent KVM in an IT environment this is what I consider "low cost", your budget maybe different.

Well, today, I got it approved and ordered the KVM switch ClayTaco recommended along with some Dell Display Port to DVI adapters, as some of the computers I'm setting up only have HDMI and DVI. I'll try to post back later on how well it works.

I should have mentioned that we use DVI adapters on our most of our systems. I've got probably 70 2 port VGA KVMs in the field and have never had any issues. Hope they work out for ya.

FYI, I received the new KVM switch, and I'm loving it. Thanks for the suggestion, ClayTaco. It's been a great device so far. I've been using on 4 PCs at a time since receiving it last Friday, and it's worked like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back