Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KVM vs. Garage Door Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

haust

Technical User
Jan 9, 2005
US
I have a Belkin SOHO 4 port KVM switch (F1DD104U) and it is causing my garage door opener to have a very short range. I sometimes have to get out of my car and stand next to the garage door for the thing to work. It's definitely the KVM switch that's causing this. Is the KVM switch producing RF signals that are interfering with my garage door? How can I fix this?

Make sure that all your cables are correctly inserted and that the grounds and screws are tight. It can be noise from the video cables.

Make sure the garage door opener remote has fresh batteries. Just a thought.

Jim

Unless the KVM is really defective (off frequency ground loop), there shouldn't be any connection between the two. Garage door openers operate on a different frequency than any home appliances (including computers). They are closer to a cellphone frequency. I'd try a different KVM switch before I formed any opinion.

Hi, don't think this is too "off-the-wall", but are you located near a US military base? Check out these articles:
mrtmag.com/news/dod_radio_garage_121604/
and:

I live in central Pennsylvania, near the Mechanicsburg facility cited in the second article. About half of the people in my neighborhood have this problem!! If your KVM switch is causing your problem it would be very unusual in my experience (although anything is possible, I suppose)

hope this helps,

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back