Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KVM for windows - mixing ps2 cables with USB input sockets does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

raygg

Technical User
Jun 14, 2000
US
I have 4 older desktops I run older stuff on - 2 running VISTA Home Premium, 1 running XP Pro and a Dell GX620 running Win7Pro. The first 3 boxes all have PS2 input sockets for mouse and kbd and no issues connecting with the KVM box. However, the Dell - although about the same age as the other 3 boxes - has only USB inputs - no PS2 sockets to accept the mouse and kbd KVM cables. I bought a Y combo plug accepting the two KVM cable mouse PS2 plug and PS2 keyboard plugs Y-ing into a single USB output plug - but the signal does not get thru to the OS - nothing happens. Until now I have been using a 2nd kbd and 2nd mouse for the Dell because I did not know there may be a way to eliminate the need for a 2nd kb and mouse and did not know there could be conversion plugs.

What is the solution to get the Dell to accept a signal from the current KVM ps2 cables? Would separate conversion plugs each for the PS2 mouse to USB socket and PS2 kbd to USB socket work or is there another way?

Ironically I use a mouse with a ball for input to the KVM - which happens to have a USB plug. So I use a USB to PS2 conversion plug for the mouse input to the KVM - and it has always worked! Why is the reverse process not working - or does it have to be converted only on a single plug basis and not thru a Y plug?

Without going through the KVM, does the Y-cable PS2-to-USB converter work with the PS2 mouse and keyboard? First thing is make sure you don't have a bad adapter.

Years ago, I had the same issue before upgrading my KVM. I was able to use Y-adapters to work around the issue, so it should be possible, unless your KVM is expecting a straight PS2 connection for the keyboard. The mouse is not usually an issue.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back