Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KVM Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkertech

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
US
What should I be looking for when selecting a KVM switch and cable set for purchase?

For every problem there is a solution, for every solution there is a tech behind it.

sound capability. keyboard switching is nice. electronic version, not just a switch. integrated cable is nice, but using system type connectors so you can connect stuff directly for troubleshooting.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks for the quick reply Ed but do you have time to elaborate? I don't understand much of what you stated.

For every problem there is a solution, for every solution there is a tech behind it.

Some KVM allow you to switch the sound outputs so the sound you hear is from the system selected.

There are mechanical switches that can switch lines. But they get noisy and create problems. Better is electronic that draw power from your keyboard connector.

You can find boxes with integrated connectors at the box where everything comes through the one connector. There are others that have integrated cables but on the box end they have separate plugs. And others that have separate cables and separtate plugs. Troubleshooting is easiest on the separate cable and plug devices, but the cabling is messier than the integrated cables.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks again Ed; now I can make an educated choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back