Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KVM alternative 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP81

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
AU
I have two machines which I use for both development and some gaming: A WinXP machine and a Linux machine. In the past I've used a KVM, however a KVM restricts to a VGA monitor and PS2 mouse and keyboard.

I've now got a shiny new 24inch DVI monitor and bluetooth laser mouse and would like to utilise DVI and my mouse. The obvious answer is to use a DVI-VGA adapter and a standard mouse (with a USB-PS2 connector).

Is there much in the way of alternatives? So far I've found:
* Synergy - Using Synergy I can use two PCs with one mouse and keyboard. The problem is I'd need a second monitor to get it working properly.
* VNC/remote desktop - I could VNC into my Linux machine or remote desktop from my Linux machine to my Window machine. I really don't think Crysis will play well over it though.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Is dual-booting a single machine not an option? Alternatively if you're happy to use wireless mice and keyboards just have two sets. Being wireless it's pretty easy to switch keyboards, shoving one in a drawer or under the desk. You should be able to configure them to use different 'channels' so they don't interfere with each other.

Regards

Nelviticus

The new OmniView SOHO Series KVM Switch with Audio from Belkin allows you to control up to two DVI/USB computers from one USB keyboard and mouse, and one DVI monitor. Used with Belkin DVI cabling, SOHO Series Switches support video resolutions up to 1600x1200, delivering uncompromising quality images for the newest, high-end displays. Its innovative design offers built-in cable management and creates a sculpted new look for your desktop-while saving you time, space, and money.

When I was born I was so suprised I didn't talk for 18 months

however a KVM restricts to a VGA monitor and PS2 mouse and keyboard.
Not in a long time.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

AP81,

The guys in cabling are really helpful for topics like this:

forum575

I've found them knowledgeable and eager to help.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back