Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kryptolocker sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircles

IS-IT--Management
Nov 9, 2008
GB
So what is going to be done about Kryptolocker and its perpetrators?

If you haven't heard about this thing it is a 'Ransomware' virus that encrypts all your data and sends the key to a secret server in, guess where....? The Ukraine!

You then have 3 days to pay $300 - 460 to get your data decrypted or you can pay $1000 later on if you find you have no backup.

sircles.net Support - find us at:
Henley-on-Thames Computer Support

Any data that you don't want to lose should be backed up, there is nothing new in that policy is there? Anti Virus software can help a bit but once the payload starts encrypting files then it is too late to do much other than restore from backup.

CryptoLocker: A particularly pernicious virus

I read where Crypto Locker only affects older versions of Windows.

Daniel

Crypto Locker affects all versions of Windows at least up to Windows 7. Don't know about Windows 8.

Also, it encrypts all attached drives so if your habit is to leave your backup drive plugged in and let the backup run on a schedule you may find yourself without a backup.

What I do now is backup to an external drive and then IMMEDIATELY disconnect that drive from my computer.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

As cmeagan656 says, back up your drive and disconnect, that simple. Other than that, keep your AV up to date as my Avast AV has caught this problem once already.

Status
Not open for further replies.