Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Krone-type Patch By Exception racks/modules etc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmurado

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2003
AU
Hi all,
Just wanted to find out some more about having a PBE type system installed in a server room that will be refurbished.

I'm trying to get a handle on the average costs as opposed to the traditional Cat6 and switches connected direct to patch panels system.

Also, any decent links to more info.
I have the usual vendor(Krone, mostly) brochures explaining the benefits(which are pretty self explanatory) but the cost benefit basis seems a hard sell.

Are they actually better value in the long run? Is it worth installing in a room that may only be used for a year?(I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to take with us at teardown.) I would love to eliminate the spaghetti but I don't know if that is enough to justify the greater initial costs.
Especially for what amounts to 200 end points 'in the field'.
tia.

Here are three different links for you. I am sure there are benefits to this system but it would really be costly as a retrofit. If I were in your position I would look into this solution closely when it came time to install a new data center. But I would not install it now.

Typically the “spaghetti” happens when the rooms are not properly designed for expansion. I don’t care what system you put in a data rack, server rack, or server room, if its not laid out properly you are going to have a mess.

Getting enough space is also a problem for most places. They give you a 10x10 room to house 1000 data connections, UPS, air handlers and whatever else can be jammed in the room. Then all of a sudden, hey I do not have room for another cabinet…

So really look at designing your new room right and the rest will fall in place regardless of the cabling system you put in it. "As long as it is taken care of that is."

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Getting enough space is also a problem for most places. They give you a 10x10 room to house 1000 data connections, UPS, air handlers and whatever else can be jammed in the room. Then all of a sudden, hey I do not have room for another cabinet...
[\quote]
Hey it's like you know what our CEO is thinking!
Thanks for the links and the tips.

Hey it's like you know what our CEO is thinking!

If it makes you feel any better its all over brother. The first thing they want and the last thing that is thought about. I have to fight for every inch of space I get too.

Glad I could help.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back