Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Konica Minolta Bizhub 350 SetUp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranbo

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2010
US
I followed the other closed thread for setup this printer. my printer have a network card connected to the network. the server SCO-OS6. Here is the prompt not sure what to made of it.

Remote printing configuration

NOTE: This utility is used for the configuration of the traditional Berkeley
lpd server. CUPS can also send and receive jobs using the lpd protocol.
CUPS lpd sending is done via the specification of lpd: printer URIs. CUPS lpd
receiving is done with the cups-lpd server (see its man page); however, the
CUPS lpd server does not implement the same access controls that the Berkeley
server does.
Both CUPS and the Berkeley server can be simultaneously enabled as long as CUPS
is only used to send lpd jobs, not receive them. If the Berkeley lpd server is
enabled, cups-lpd should not be enabled, and vice versa.

Do you want to enable or disable lpd printing (e/d/q)? [q]:

The question:

How do you set up the Bizhub 350 network printer to SCO Openser 6?

I tried the HPJet Direct Route but it doesn't work.

Thanks for your help

The old HPNP stuff, while it used to work flawlessly, is now turning into a real nightmare to get to work. First problem you have is the fact that your using an HP driver to run a Minolta printer. The mere fact that HP uses port 9100 might have a lot to do with your problem. The next issue is, does the Minolta support PCL (5, 5e, 6, etc)? If that printer doesn't support PCL, your going to have a great time trying to get it to work. What I've reverted to is using 'netcat'. While it might open some security issues, at least it works. All you have to do is figure out what port your printer uses (look for something like TCP/IP Connection information), configure the driver to use that port, and away you go. Google for a package called 'rlpnc.tar.Z'. Download it and read everything. It's really easy to install and use, but you better read the documentation first.

Finally, your probably going to have to configure the software (firmware) in the printer. If it's a relatively new printer, it should have a browser interface that permits configuration. If not, then read the manual. You'll need to configure things like IP, port, x-mission speeds, etc.

Good Luck ..... hope this gets your printer working.

piperent

There is a unix driver for the bizhub but SCO-OS6 is not supported.

10/20/2009
12.16 MB kmpu18 D.zip
MD5 Checksum : 45AE71608BA0CAE8FCB93CF6303E986DMD5
Hide/ShowShow Release Notes...
KonicaMinolta Print Utility for UNIX (KP Utility) version 1.8

SEE DLBT0802533EN00.pdf for a list of enhancements

from the manual page: SCO ins't listed

Thanks for your help

Some of the Konica devices work easily, some are very frustrating. I've been able to use netcat on some, but others required me to configure the printer on a Windows-based host, then hit it from UNIX using SAMBA. What piperent says is also true; the printer must be capable of printing PCL5.
If it only prints in PostScript, you'll have to run your output through a converter, which is yet another type of pain. If it only supports PCL6, you might be out of luck.

For testing, try to telnet directly to the printer's IP address on port 9100 and see if it will print as you type. If so, Netcat might be all you need. If not, try the Windows-shared thing. I think I tried and gave up on LPR/LPD, but that might be supported as well.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

I checked the doc's on this printer, and it is capable of PCL 6. PCL 6 is different than 5, but most of the time a PCL 6 capable machine has backward compatibility. Hopefully this one does too. Just print the configuration and see if you can find the port they use for TCP/IP. I had a toshiba all in one that used 10000. Once I figured that out, it ran just fine. You'll have to use netcat, but it should at least show signs of life.

piperent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back